• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Easymount hot and cold laminator

Ginocol

I've brought a used easymount laminator and thought it was mint. Now I've got it, on closer inspection there are slight chips in certain sections of the heated rubber roller along with glue marks in certain sections too.
Can anyone tell me I am I going to have problems with lamination due to the chips in the roller?
Is there a way to repair the chips on the rubber?
What's the best way to remove the glue and not damage the roller itself?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240126_103144.jpg
    20240126_103144.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20240126_103137.jpg
    20240126_103137.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 61

vondegroot

I bought a used one as well - no one around here uses them, so I took a chance on one that was for sale. Turns out they're pretty great machines, I would even say they are far better than any RS :)
Clean 'em up and you'll likely be golden. Also: I tried using the hot function, and maybe it's me just being so used to cold application, but the heat just made things more complicated by stretching the film, so I never use it anymore!

What are people using heat for anyway?

somcalmetim

I bought a used one as well - no one around here uses them, so I took a chance on one that was for sale. Turns out they're pretty great machines, I would even say they are far better than any RS :)
Clean 'em up and you'll likely be golden. Also: I tried using the hot function, and maybe it's me just being so used to cold application, but the heat just made things more complicated by stretching the film, so I never use it anymore!

What are people using heat for anyway?
We don't use heat for normal laminating anymore...it can reduce silvering of the laminate but also causes problems applying a stretched heated laminate that wants to shrink back to normal size which causes peel up the edges.
Unless its an actual "encapsulating laminate" like old drivers licenses that is melted on front and back we never use the heat anymore for wraps/signs etc.

Jeppe.Nielsen

You can have the rollers refurbished by a roller supplier, for example those who supply rubber rollers to offset printing machines, like Böttcher. That means taking the entire shaft out of your laminator and sending it away in a proper crate. If you don't want to spend all that money on it you can probably try a form of compressible material like Tek-7 or some other sort of "silicone-like" material, but be sure to "spackle" it so it just fills in the gap. If that does not stick to your roller, then you are probably out of luck.

Ginocol

You can have the rollers refurbished by a roller supplier, for example those who supply rubber rollers to offset printing machines, like Böttcher. That means taking the entire shaft out of your laminator and sending it away in a proper crate. If you don't want to spend all that money on it you can probably try a form of compressible material like Tek-7 or some other sort of "silicone-like" material, but be sure to "spackle" it so it just fills in the gap. If that does not stick to your roller, then you are probably out of luck.
Thanks very much

Stacey K

I like making signs
Those rollers look very familiar. I have a chip in one of my rollers left of center. It creates a small bubble that I press out with my finger - and then it's 100% gone - yes, when I have an 8' section there's like 4 spots to press out - not a big deal.

The glue part, I would try and remove it with alcohol or something like that. Maybe do a test on the bottom roller to make sure it doesn't eat the rubber.

Can you switch the top and bottom roller?

Laminate a scrap piece, take a photo of the areas where the chip is and the glue, circle with a sharpie. Wait until the next day and see if those spots are gone. I have to believe the glue spots will disappear, the chip you may have to press with your finger. Going forward, press the chip bubble out immediately after laminating, I never wait until the next day.

It's just me doing the laminating and it's not every day I laminate so to press the bubble down is not a big deal.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Wait until the next day and see if those spots are gone. I have to believe the glue spots will disappear, the chip you may have to press with your finger. Going forward, press the chip bubble out immediately after laminating, I never wait until the next day.
Warm fingers for the touch down. Nitrile gloves helf prevent grease spots.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
The grease spots I thought I was referring to, come from paw prints on the laminate, from down pushing flat bubbles