• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EBAY Laser engravers. Any "go-to's" or avoidances?

Forty One

I'm currently in the process of reviewing laser cutters/engravers for my business.
It's not a huge market for us at the moment, so I'm not keen in spending $40k on a machine. However, I've been looking at some 60x CO2 machines on Ebay.
Are these machines ok for entry level use? Mainly being used on traffolyte materials etc.
Has anyone purchased one and can give an honest review?
Are there any other recommendations for similar units?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Check out these guys:

We have one of their lasers (Nova 51). Size and pricing are great for what you get. Bundled software isn't great so we use LightBurn (USD$80) and it's fantastic with good support.
Machine arrived in a crate basically ready to use. Rolled the thing out, and it was already perfectly calibrated. They ship out of Brisbane and Glenn is awesome to deal with.

rossmosh

Chinese lasers engrave at approximately 500mm/sec or 20in/sec. A slow western machine will engrave at about 60-80in/sec. A modern/fast one will engrave at about 140-170 in/sec. Please keep this is mind when you're buying a machine for engraving. For cutting, Chinese machines are a great value. For engraving, they leave a lot to be desired.

If engraving plastic plates is what you're buying the machine for, I'd look into a used laser on ebay or Craigslist. I would stay away from ULS. Go with Epilog or Trotec.