• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco-solvent vs. Latex

jddzigns

We currently own an Epson GS6000. We're happy with the print quality but have had a few issues with it breaking down on us. We're looking into a second 64" printer and are considering a latex printer. We do mostly canvas prints but also do banners, car wraps, outdoor signage, etc. We would also like to start printing more wall coverings and backlit graphics on fabric. To us, quality is much more important than speed. My priorities (in order of importance) are, color gamut, resolution, scratch resistance, UV resistance, range of media, operating costs and speed.

What would you recommend and why? What's your opinion on the Epson S70? What's your opinion on the HP Latex 360?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

FrankW

With the latex 360 you have much more scratch resistance and chemical resistance than with an eco-Solvent printer. Because of much better results on textile banner and lots of different papers (wallpaper too) the machine will fit to your plans for wall coverings and prints on fabric better than the Epson. The Ink Collector will help to print sone fabrics too. In Europe, ink costs are lower than on eco-solvent inks even if calculating the consumable print heads and maintenance units.

Gamut not comparable to an orange/green-machine. Machine have an easy to use internal color management system what will help a lot of people who doesn't know color management, but will seem a little poor for CMS-Profs.

If considering a machine with orange and so on, I would be careful with considering an Epson Shurecolor: a lot of bad news in the market about reliability and finctipnality on this machines.

RupestreTandil

Chinese printer

Recently (november 2014) I was given the choice between a well used HP L26500 and a Brand new Chinese Allwin E180, with dual DX5 printheads and Bulk Inks. Both would cost the same for me. The HP cost included the service pack 3, so it would be considered as brand new (the vendor said).

This was a tough decision for me. I live in Argentina, the running costs are crucial.

The vendor offers service and warranty for both models.
After looking at the two machines working, I finally choosed the Allwin E180.
I´m very happy with my choice. The machine is blazing fast, and the print quality is superb. I can upload videos printing 4 pass bidirectional with no banding at all. Speed is 18m2/h, but in 2 passes the speed is 35m2h.
Also, I can print crops of media, and is instantly on. Also, running costs are about 1/3 of latex.