• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Fx Squeals at Me!

Marie

At the beginning of a print job when my Edge FX starts advancing the vinyl, it squeals LOUDLY - maybe like a belt squealing? Then after another second or two, it makes a softer squeal. Job prints fine. This has been going on for a few weeks. Any thoughts on source of noise and a fix for it? THANKS!!

Johnny Best

Making noise, let's hope he is on the good side, that noise and squealing sounds like a GerBot. Be careful.
gerbot.jpg

Marie

Have you seen if the display is saying processing image?

Thanks for the question. The bottom line of the screen on the Edge, first reads "lowering", the "warmup", then "job:". The squeal happens immediately when it switches from warmup to job.

Joe House

Most likely the lead screw that lowers the foil caddy. Remove the foil and you should see a black screw about 3/8 to 1/2" diameter. Put a small amount of white lithium grease on it, wipe off the excess with a lint free rag and the sound should go away. Gerber recommends some other grease which is difficult to find, but I've found that the white lithium works just fine. Make sure you don't put too much on.

FunkotronXL

Most likely the lead screw that lowers the foil caddy. Remove the foil and you should see a black screw about 3/8 to 1/2" diameter. Put a small amount of white lithium grease on it, wipe off the excess with a lint free rag and the sound should go away. Gerber recommends some other grease which is difficult to find, but I've found that the white lithium works just fine. Make sure you don't put too much on.

Joe House has the right advice to start with.

If the issues persists, pull the grey top cover off (not fun to do) and check that the housing for the Z-axis block actually has all four screws mounting it to the frame. Somehow those screws can work their way during freight shipping. If one is missing check the box to see if it fell out and put it back where it should be.

Don't ignore the noise for a prolonged period of time. It can eventually lose its Z-axis calibration (fouling all prints) and then you'll need a new Z-axis assembly, possibly a new power supply. The noise is usually from excess resistance on the Z-axis screw.