• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge II advice?

macw

I'm looking into both the Gerber Edge II and Roland PC-600 for making those personalised "baby" labels. With the PC-600 I can print 6 different colored labels with no change over but I've heared these machines aren't the greatest. How many seconds does it take to change over ribbons in the edge? Any other advice?

James Chrimes

It took me 20 seconds at a normal pace. I keep the ribbons on a shelf above the edge machine. I took one out and returned it to its box and pulled another out of its box and put it in the edge with tension.

2NinerNiner2

Bonjour 'macw',
I have not personally used the PC-600 but I have read enough 'horror stories' to make me quite skeptical. I do have almost 2 years experience with the EdgeII however and as posted here, it would definitely be the wiser of the two choices. That being said, are you considering new for the Edge or pre-owned? What is your budget? Long-range plan? My only regret about purchasing a VersaCAMM SP-300 after researching, analyzing, fretting, visting dealers, trade shows, etc. for 3 plus years, is that I didn't wait two more months and get the SP-540 :)

macw

I have considered printers such as the SP-300V for this work but have been sceptical about the resiliance of the print. These labels get used through dishwashers etc. Any comments on the suitability of solvent for this use?

2NinerNiner2

Can't say definitively regarding dishwasher durability, but with lamination or clear coat I can't see a problem regarding the inks; I always laminate anything going outside or that will be exposed to a harsh environment. The vinyl staying on is another issue :) Good question - I've never tried this.

macw

There are quite a few vinyl that stick well enough. All the other people making thermal printed labels for this market use them. I think I'll just have to test in regards to the ink durability. If I can avoid it I'd prefer not to have to overlaminate to keep the work flow a simple print and cut ( there not huge margin in these products)