• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Printing with SignLab e6?

BillyD

I recently purchased a used Edge (LE) in apparent excellent condition. I want to set it up to print from my signlab e6(ColorMaster). I got it hooked up and loaded the proper profiles and drivers from signlab (I think) and got it to print, but the prints all look like bad sonograms, very mottled. Barely visible on the lower end of the vinyl and dark on the top end. I also cannot get it to print spot color it always tries to print them as 4 color process. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this? Profiles, Drivers, Settings or idiot behind the keyboard?:thankyou:

gresults

Signlab

Do you have the edge module...Not sure what kind of results you would get without the edge module...

BillyD

Thanks for the Response! I have checked my Signlab software and it says version 6.1 and under "modules installed" it only says "Unlimited time" however i did get the full version when I purchased the software. I loaded the Gerber Edge "profile" from the signlab disk under thermal printers and it is showing up as gerber edge in the "Print and Cut" menu. So I assume that is the gerber module you are referring to? I also set it up in the "Print and Cut Wizard" with gerber foils.

Hubert Furey

Hi Billy,

What gresults is referring to is the Thermal Printing Module, which I do not see on your dongle.

Ensure that you have a print mode selected under Print and Cut Setup. Click on Setup button, click on Printer Settings Dialog tab. Print mode should be highlighted in the top window and the available print modes will be listed in the bottom window. If using Gerber foils Gerber CMYK General Purpose should get you going. More descriptions of these print modes are available from the knowledgebase.

To print a Spot color ensure that you have a Gerber color palette loaded. These color palettes have the spot colors in them. To print an object as a spot color simply assign the spot color to the object.

You should give some consideration to the Thermal Module. It will allow third party foils, duotone colors, spot gradients, priming, support for overprints and overlaps, just to name a few. Send me an email if you have more questions on the Thermal Module or contact Sales.

gresults

O don't have the true Thermal print module and I don't print and cut from signlab but I have heard with the module you can get some very good results, Someone at signlab had sent me out a upgrade package to got to 7 but never got back to me on price, dongle 76507H I would need a full version with the thermal module and just a cut verision for 2nd station so production can cut on there plotters..

BillyD

Cadlink Tech Support contacted me and checked the settings for the Edge in the software he said all looked correct. But the print quality is still terrible. Could there be some physical adjustment I need to make on the Edge or is this a profile problem. I have it set up with the gerber foils pallette and finally got it to print spot color in one pass but it is still a bad print and very light. Any help would be appreciated.

gresults

Not sure thsi is allowed but you might check out 4edgetalk.com its a all edge site someone there might have more experience...just a idea..if refrence to anothe site is not allowed I'm sorry...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Don, we encourage members to direct members to anywhere that will help them. In fact, I visit 4EdgeTalk.com on a daily basis and often post.

BillyD, since you say you purchased the Edge used, I will ask you first about how was this Edge transported to you? The Edge has several metal clamps to protect the floating printhead and other sensitive parts which MUST be in place anytime the the machine is moved. It sounds to me as though you may have a damaged printhead. Did the machine come to you with these clamps in place and did you physically remove them?

The quickest and easiest test would be to draw an 11.75" x 11.75" square in SignLab and fill it with a spot color set at a tint of 50%. The preferred spot color to use for this is Spot Cobalt Blue because it is very heavy in pigment. Simply print the square and check for evenness of the halftoning. Spot colors do not use color profiles so there is nothing to consider regarding that being an issue. I would also very carefully inspect the printhead for any visible damage along with the entire mechanism in the printhead area for anything which doesn't appear to be correct.

BillyD

Thanks for the lead on 4Edgetalk.com Donald. I am awaiting a registration email now.
Fred, the Edge was shipped via UPS and was not in it's original packaging, but was well packed. The machine did not have the clamps attached inside because they came in a bag with it (I thought that looked like it should be attached).
As for the printhead I don't see any obvious signs of damage. But I did notice that no matter how long I have the machine on, or how much I attempt to print with it there is cool air coming out the front fan vents. So, thinking this is a thermal printer shouldn't it at least be getting warm? No heat around the printhead at all even immediately after attempting to print. I know the machine has two fuses (they are opaque so I can't see if they are blown) If one of the fuses is blown would it cause the head not to heat but the rest of the machine run correctly? Guess I'll replace them both and find out.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I doubt it's a fuse issue and I would guess that the chances are almost certain you have received a damaged machine. The repair, if it has to go back to the factory, depending on the age of the machine, may equal or exceed the value of the machine.

What I would recommend to you is that you contact a Gerber distributor near you and see what sort of localized inspection and service they might be able to offer. I would also seriously consider returning the machine to the seller for a refund if you can. Or, if the seller wants to pay for the repair .... but you could be looking at several thousand dollars.

GT

BillyD,

When you say the print quality is terrible, can you tell us what exactly it is that is so bad?

Also, to add to what Fred said about a test print, make sure the image fill is using 70.7 LPI. The higher line count will help make any problems more visible. With this test, what you are looking for are faint horizontal bands in the print. This indicates a worn printhead and needs to be replaced. If you have a solid horizontal gap that goes the entire length of the print, then you either have debris on your printhead and it needs cleaning or you have a pixel blown. If the pixel is blown, be prepared to buy a new printhead.

Dale Horn

If none of the brackets were in place, there is a very good chance that the printhead was taken out of alignment. It likely did not get handled gently if UPS had it. Once the seller ships it "as is" you're only going to be covered for a total of $100US by UPS. So your best bet (now that you're holding the bag) is to have Geber realign/diagnose it.
I hopefully the frame is not bent.

BTW, It's normal for the Edge to blow cold air out the front on start up.

BillyD

Thanks to all of you for your responses, I have a call in to Gerber now and will let you know what the diagnosis is.