• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edges not straight?

Impact Image

Hi all,

Printing (Roland Sp300/Colorip) some 82" tall sections for a trailer and noticed while trimming that the edges aren't straight. At first I thought I'd trimmed my straight edge concave but that ain't it. The print seems to start fine, then move inward (outward on the other side) the back out? It's making seaming these things a real pain.

Any ideas? Grit roller? Pinch rollers? The panels are only 27.5" wide so I have plenty of room to hold them.

I thought maybe the vacuum was too strong (I'd upped it for some canvas) and backed it down to 30%. It didn't seem to have any effect. I've been fighting some intermittent banding issues that I assumed were head related. Now I'm wondering if it's not a feed issue.

Thanks in advance.

Sticky Signs

I'm guessing encoder strip. Give it a good cleaning and see if that helps. If not, you may have a more serious issue.

Impact Image

1/2" overlap seems to be plenty. Last couple of panels have been fine. I'm prefeeding the material rather than have it "bump" off the roll and that appears to be helping.

Sticky....brand new encoder strip last month. No whammies...no whammies.

Gabriel

Hi,
It's very possible to have some dirt on the encoder strip. The simple fact that the encoder is a brand new one, doesn't impress the dirt:smile:. Try to clean it a little and see if it helps.
Regards

spudcity

I've always had the same issues. Longer media never seems to track straight. It always seems to pull to the left. I've replaced the pinch rollers and cleaned the media guides, nothing seems to help.

Mike F

clamps, anybody? i printed few hundred square feet of banners this week using them, went straight as an arrow.

Impact Image

I used the clamps (which means I stood there pressing the sheet cut button 14 times before I realized I disabled it. It seems to have corrected itself but I'm also pre-feeding media off of a new roll so lots of varying factors.

Thanks for all the help and I will give the encoder a swipe.

Now to figure out this minute banding. I'm afraid it's a mechanical alignment thing.

Happy Friday and everybody have a great, safe holiday weekend.

Impact Image

Update........yes it's 6:00am Eastern. Can you tell this has to go out today?

So the panel alignment issues had NOTHING to do with this. At some point during this 9 panel job (I'm guessing panels 3 or 4) the scale got bumped up by .25%. Doesn't sound like a lot unless you are seaming pretty detailed photos.

I should beat my own a$$.

Happy Friday folks.