• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edging Tool for Cutting Vinyl

AceSignsOnline

Hi. I'm obviously new to this forum. Thanks for having me.

I'm looking for an efficient solution to cutting along the edges of our digital prints mounted on flat substrates. I tried using the search function for an answer, but I'm not sure I'm searching with the right keywords.

Anyway, an example of what I'm talking about: Say I have a 4'x8' vinyl print to apply to a 4'x8' substrate such as Alumalite, Scooterboard, etc. Obviously, because of peeling issues, I don't want the vinyl going all the way to the edges.

Is anyone aware of a tool that makes inset cuts like this? Preferably something that uses standard #11 blades? It sure would help save a lot of time.

I did manage to find a similar tool for cutting along windows, but I don't think that the guide is really going to facilitate my needs. Here it is anyway, in case it would help make sense of what I'm looking for: http://shop2012.yellotools.us/Cutting/Knife-Cutter-Scissors/YelloGuide::758.html Thanks in advance.

ddubia

I lay a straight edge along each side and eyeball cut about 1/8" all around. I've got a pretty good eye and they turn out very well. It also give the sign a more finished look as there's the "frame" all around it perimeter. This shouldn't be done with all signs/designs but for the majority of larger signs it serves well.

What I do to other signs is made the print just slightly larger than the substrate, think "bleed" if you will, and after the vinyl is applied I go around the edges with a sanding block and sand the overlap off the edge. This leaves a nice clean edge and avoids the "lifting" of the edges with handling.

AceSignsOnline

That's pretty much what I'm doing at this point - Eyeballing about an 1/8". It works for the time being, but being as how time is money, it would be nice to make the procedure a little more efficient.

Thanks for the response!

phototec

The cutting guide offered by Yellowtools looks like it is just a small round magnet attached to a flat metal guide, which holds onto the #11 blade with magnetic force.

Seams like you could make you own very easily, just purchase a small round magnet glue it to a metal guide, which you could make to fit you purpose, then use a 1-1/2" long piece of shrink tubing and heat shrink it onto the barrel of the x-acto handle, and you have the $32 cutting guide for $5 or less.

:thumb:

Attachments

• Guide.jpg
    Guide.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77