• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Effects of defective head?

DustinH

I recently installed a new Ricoh Gen 5 into my mimaki JFX200. It is the exact model number as the head removed from the machine.

Symptoms: When printing with the new head the print is smeared out in the feed direction of the print by about 100%. For example when I print a rectangle, the edges along the scan direction(x) are crisp, but top and bottom edge of the print fade in, then fade out and are spread along a distance double what the distance should be. Strangely a portion of this smear is below the 0,0 origin of the flatbed printer.

At first I thought the issue was isolated to the second head (white and clear), but when I tried to print with the first head (CYMK) I discovered that two of the channels in the second head seem to have taken stupid pills.

In the picture bellow black was printed over the top of cyan alongside yellow and magenta. With the previous head these channels were printing perfect rectangles. However you can see that with the new head cyan and yellow are also speared. This leads me to believe that the machine is interpreting the new head incorrectly?

Any input? Does anyone recognize this problem?

Attachments

• test print of head one.jpg
    test print of head one.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 262

balstestrat

Problem Solver
This is kind of a no brainer but you put the cables back to the correct connectors right? It could do this kind of thing if they are in wrong order but it's almost difficult do it..

Superior_Adam

I would double check all connections and make sure all alignments are done properly. The problem with installing your own head is that you will have very little to stand on if the head is indeed defective as they will say it was user error no matter what and most likely offer zero refund on it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure you have the latest firmware. Gen 5 heads had a change in the electronics at some point and if the firmware isn't updated, it freaks out.

DustinH

Thank you for the input. I believe that starting by updating the firmware makes sense because the machine was originally manufactured in 2016. However when I try to update the firmware I am given the message that it has special firmware and can not be updated. Is there a way to get around this problem?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you for the input. I believe that starting by updating the firmware makes sense because the machine was originally manufactured in 2016. However when I try to update the firmware I am given the message that it has special firmware and can not be updated. Is there a way to get around this problem?

Did you try to do it through Rasterlink or the Mimaki Firmware Update Tool? Also, which version are you on currently?

DustinH

I tried to use the end user update tool which contacts the mimaki server. It tell me that I have version 2.4.

I talked to a technician who confirmed that the new Gen 5 heads need a minimum firmware version of 2.6. He also said the end user update software never seems to work in his opinion and said I should find a copy of the technician firmware updater 3. Unfortunately he could not give this software to me himself. He did say that firmware version 2.7 came out in 2020, but version 2.6 would also work.

Any idea where I would get the technician version of the firmware updater and firmware 2.6 or 2.7?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I tried to use the end user update tool which contacts the mimaki server. It tell me that I have version 2.4.

I talked to a technician who confirmed that the new Gen 5 heads need a minimum firmware version of 2.6. He also said the end user update software never seems to work in his opinion and said I should find a copy of the technician firmware updater 3. Unfortunately he could not give this software to me himself. He did say that firmware version 2.7 came out in 2020, but version 2.6 would also work.

Any idea where I would get the technician version of the firmware updater and firmware 2.6 or 2.7?

Thanks

Yeah unfortunately official dealers and Mimaki techs aren't allowed to give out certain files including me. Search for "Mimaki FW Update tool 3" and I wouldn't be surprised if you find it online. Same with the firmware itself. Also, can't hurt to just contact Mimaki and ask. Sorry I can't be of more help!

DustinH

I appreciate the response. I searched through all five pages of the google search for Mimaki Firmware Update tool. I also searched through this form. I then emailed my local technician and got an auto reply that he will be gone for the week.

I also looked on ebay because I would be happy to purchase the firmware, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm in a bind because I need to get this printer working again. Does anyone have a link?

DustinH

I thought so also, but Mimaki support was only aware of Midwest Signs. A google search has not yielded any leads. Is there a term other than "Mimaki technician" I should be searching for or a directory I can look at? This is my first UV printer so I am still catching up on such information.

I very much appreciate the time of all who have responded.