• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EFI Pro16H print carriage issue

PrintQueen

Howdy y'all,

Wondering if anyone else here has an EFI Pro16H or similar and has experienced this problem before? For EFI Pro16H users (or the like), do you shutdown the computer every night, or do you just let it go to sleep? I'm wondering if something is happening while the PC is sleeping, causing issue when the printer wakes back up the next day...

Anyhow.. Here's what's been going on ---

When I first wake the machine up for the day, the first step is to calibrate the gap. In the print utility, I go into 'Parameters' and hit "calibrate". The print carriage will lift all the way up and move to the right over the belt. From here, it is supposed to lower to touch the belt, but this is where the issue starts. there is usually a click after the print carriage moves to the right, then it lowers. The print carriage will not lower at this point - it doesn't click and lower, it just gets stuck here. I can move the print carriage back to the left to the home position, but it will not lower there either. I have tried to purge and sweep and the carriage does not lower to meet the vacuum/tray, but instead, the tray will raise all the way up to the carriage, purge and sweep, then just the tray will lower. The solution to this issue has been to either engage the e-stop to be able to get it to perform the home sequence, or i've had to do the shutdown process which includes shutting down the breakers and the main power in order to reset the machine. From here, on startup, it will usually perform its home sequence and then i can calibrate the gap. It's been happening pretty consistently first thing. Sometimes its easy to reset it, sometimes it takes a few tries. I did get the error "Error 1425 - Failed request to open the USB board" a few times. I'm wondering -- should I be shutting down the PC every night? I have been leaving it on just in sleep mode, and I'm wondering if this would have any connection to the issue? The machine is not down 100%. When I am able to calibrate the gap, I am usually then able to print without issue, but when the print carriage gets stuck in the up position, it will not lower to print.

Today, the carriage got stuck up during calibration, but when I moved it back to home position, it lowered and I was able to restart the PC and it seemed to fix the problem.
Wondering if the machine will continue its self-maintenance stuff overnight if the computer is shut off, or if that needs to be kept on all the time. I would prefer to shut the PC down at night when the printer goes to sleep, but I don't want to mess anything up.

PrintQueen

Following up on this, in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future.. Our issue ended up being a bad solenoid. Once that part was replaced, we haven't been experiencing any issues.

Signarama Jockey

Didn't see this until now, I run an EFI Pro 16h, too. I wouldn't have been able to solve your problem, but as to the "should I shut down the computer every night" question, I don't think that would be a terrible idea.

We leave our computer on every night and we just put the EFI into sleep mode, then let the CPU put itself to bed whenever it does that. I'm always worried that a fan or two will eventually fail and we'll start seeing overheating issues. But, at least for now everything is working fine.

Glad you're back up and running.