• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Emergency question!

Rickey J

Ok, I have a Roland SP-540i and I just got done printing a job. Now I need to laminate and contour cut it. My problem is that the printer is showing I am out of Magenta and beeping at me and it will not let me do anything. So Can I put a piece of tape over the sensor with out messing anything up and still contour cut? Go Figure 5:45 on Friday!

Kevin-shopVOX

If you can trick the machine to thinking you have some magenta you should be able to contour cut no problem. I can't remember if the trick is on the cartridge or at the machine though. I think it's at the cartridge.

MrPixelPuppy

YES. it is beeping to warn you that there is no more ink. If you put a piece of tape over the sensor your machine will be fooled to think that ink is there. Cut your job but make sure not to forget to pull tape off. If you don't your machine will continue to print and may dry your head. This will be a very expensive repair if you need to have a technician come to you and recover the head.

Good luck!

Rickey J

If you can trick the machine to thinking you have some magenta you should be able to contour cut no problem. I can't remember if the trick is on the cartridge or at the machine though. I think it's at the cartridge.

I put some tape over the sensor and I think it worked!:U Rock:

Rickey J

YES. it is beeping to warn you that there is no more ink. If you put a piece of tape over the sensor your machine will be fooled to think that ink is there. Cut your job but make sure not to forget to pull tape off. If you don't your machine will continue to print and may dry your head. This will be a very expensive repair if you need to have a technician come to you and recover the head.

Good luck!
I am not going to be able to get ink until Monday will that be an issue?

Kevin-shopVOX

I am not going to be able to get ink until Monday will that be an issue?

Just remove the tape. Then you shouldn't have any problems keeping the empty cartridge in till you get a new one. This scenario is why I always keep an extra set of colors on the shelf. Some people keep two sets. If you need to replace you will always have it. If you replace and that one is faulty for whatever reason the second set will be there. Odds of that one being faulty are very low. It is an initial expense but for me peace of mind is priceless.

jmb474

Have you tried taking the cartridge out and shaking it and reinserting it? We have two rs-640 and that works for us on occasion.

Drip Dry

Sometimes you can stand the cartridge on end to drain the
ink all the way to one end. It may even get you enough ink to finish the job.

WCSign

Not sure if its the same.... but on my versacamm, you can change a setting to let it run without a certain color ink. And according to my technician, as long as you keep the cartridge in, you will have no problem

I learned this trick after getting one foor away from finishing an 8 foot long black and white banner and having to throw it away, because I DIDNT know the trick. Then after I changed the settings, I asked my tech and he said, no problem as long as you leave the cartridge in

sewfun52

I have the Roland VP540 and ran out of ink... The suggestion to shake the cartridge worked for me. Now the wait for the new cartridges. I always keep red on hand and thought I had an extra of all of them. Oh well, nothing here to distract me :)