• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encad 850 deprime/ink drops

bob_5793

I have been plagued for a long time by what I can only describe as a deprime almost straight after the Encad starts printing.
We print mostly display drops, 1mt x 2.5mt.
It can occur on any cartridge, but mostly black.
It is not consistent, and comes and goes.
To explain - I prime the carts, and the encad sits and waits for a file to RIP.
Once it starts printing - within a few minutes a blob of ink forms on one of the cartridge heads - this would normally be the cartridge with minimal ink to lay down at that precise time. This ink blob eventually dries and blocks up the jets, some of it dropping onto the print at the media's edge (I assume when it goes to do its spray over the service station and return to printing - the blob losses its surface tension and it drops off) - as long as this cartridge is spraying its OK, but when it is not required the blob dries and then cannot spray when it is next required.
Looking at the carts jets - you can see this blob of ink clearly dried over most of the jets on the offending cart.
We are going to upgrade our RIP so it can print 'Tram lines' either side of the image - so all carts are firing throughout the job, and am hoping this will stop the 'blob' from drying.

When the head moves from its 'waiting' position - to then start printing does the 'vacuum in the lines change -enough to cause this, wonder if anyone has experienced this, and found a resolution.
While its sitting there waiting - does something happen to the pressure - especially if the wait is an hour or two ?
Is it a leak in the lines ?, as it would be impossible to print at all if that were the case.
I have fitted new septums - as I thought that might be a point of leakage, but not really made a difference.
I am aware you must not over tighten the top of a septum into the cartridge, otherwise it distorts the fit, and that can cause leaks.

Any pointers any one ?