• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

encad novajet 736 chip decoder problem

vwomoljica

Hi guys I'm new here so that I first want to say hello to everyone.

I have a problem with the installation of a chip decoder on my ENCAD novajet 736.
The story begins like this I bought ENCAD for 300EUR last year with print heads (gx ink) that stood in the printer for five years and original chips on them were about 25ml spent. At that point I just wanted to enable the printer so I removed the original chips from original cartridges and taped them in to the Chinese ink cartridges, and so it works without problems, but of course the chip will be stopped after 1280ml spent (my yellow is now spent 1125ml). That's why I ordered a chip decoder and did everything as instructed.

I installed the firmware update, Decoder installed according to the instructions, and removed the original chips. and now my printer can not print out a test page or anything from a computer, but I can print prime and colour test.

When I try to print from the computer, nothing happens, but the computer shows as printing, and when he finish, the printer only go beeps (3beep, pause, 3beep)

printer status (info):
vers 1.07 date: 3-5-2002
brom: 3.10 date 6-1-1999
ram: 32mb size e mb:73.27-0
73ff-f2ae-0012-3d96-b (when the chip decoder is not installed)
0000-0000-0000-0000-0(when the chip decoder is installed)

cartridge info(when the chip decoder is not installed):
Y: gx 1125ml M:gx 781ml ....
cartridge info(when the chip decoder is installed):
Y: ** ***ml M:** ***ml .......
cartridge info(when the chip decoder is installed and I do prime):
Y: gs+ 67ml M: gs+ 67ml.......

I run windows 2000

I bought two decoders from two different sellers (thinking it was first broken)

I think I said everything :-D

I know this is an old horse but for me doing the job. Please help me

Techman

You have to cover the chip contacts on the cartridges.. Or, remove those little chips from the cartridges.

As you mentioed above you said you didi that..

The next is to be sure all the copper points on the decoder chip and the training cable are touching in place.

Other than that is should work. There was lots of those chips on ebay for about 20 bux for a while.. I Have one for my encad and it works great.

Techman

the original cartridges by encad would die if sat to long.

I use the chinese cartridges and they work great. Never seem to quit.. Always fire right up.
I get them from ebay for about 7 bux each..

vwomoljica

Yes I'm using Chinese cartridges, with original chips glued to them.

do you think the problem is that I updating the firmware from Windows 2000? When I update the firmware I send it out from comandpromt and printer do beep (only once) and immediately self reboot. If I install the decoder chip can not update the firmware printer is done many times beep and nothing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• exs.jpg
    exs.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 311

Techman

Yes I'm using Chinese cartridges, with original chips glued to them.

Take them chips off. It will not work with those chips on them.

Only use the cecoder chip on the main board.

vwomoljica

Yes I did it, I took the original chips from Chinese cartridges when I tried Decoder. I did it about 10 times. But I have to go back the original chips because I have a day job to Encad

vwomoljica

here are photographs of the condition when I install decoder

attachment.php
attachment.php

Can someone to compare whether these data are good? In the picture below

attachment.php

cartridge info after only power on
attachment.php

cartridge info after prime patern (The only thing I can print out when I install a decoder)
attachment.php

Is this all up ok?

Attachments

• Photo0336.jpg
    Photo0336.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Photo0337.jpg
    Photo0337.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 327
  • Photo0332.jpg
    Photo0332.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Photo0331.jpg
    Photo0331.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Photo0335.jpg
    Photo0335.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 337

Techman

Its not reading the cartridges. BAd contact somewhere.. If in fact the chips works.

Why not get at least an XP computer. Win 2000 is ancient history.

vwomoljica

Today I took out and put the decoder at least 50 times. Assume that somewhere is bad contact but how do you explain that everything is working normally when I take out Decoder and return the original chips.

I guess that Decoder is correct. Because the two Decoder from two different sellers behave the same when I install them.

Trailing cable is good I'm installed new two days ago. (and the old and the new behaves the same)

And that somewhere not touch contatct properly I does not believe, after 50 times I guess that at least ones accidentally managed to stab him in the right place.

do you have an idea in which direction to focus the search for poor contact?

What does it say on your printer cartridge info when turn the printer on?

Do you have exactly thet file (NJ736107.rom) with which you update your printer?

I use thet computer only to press a button send to print, everything ends up on another computer in the network.

OldPaint

if i remember when i got the decoder........IT IS A BIT OF A INSERT AND HOPE its connected...at 1st mine did what yours is doin. seemed like you have hold your tongue just right when you connect the decoder to the board....its a sloppy fit, and if you hit it.......LEAVE IT..........on mine i took the chips of the originals and place them on the chinese carts....

vwomoljica

ok if I understood, you use a decoder + original chips?

countless unsuccessful attempts will lead me to the solution:ROFLMAO: MADE IN CHINA

vwomoljica

all day I do just this. and nothing I guess I took out and put the decoder I guess 100 times and nothing. I tried everything, to add a piece of paper behind the decoder, and glue a piece of sticky tape, and a little nudge pins on the board to have a better fit to the decoder, and nothing still the same. I am very angry:banghead:

vwomoljica

Here's the thing. Today in the shop was a friend, who is av technician and he took his multimeter and we checked the contacts of each individual and we have not been able to find anything that is not in contact. Is there anyone have any idea? I'm thinking to install a decoder while the printer is turned on (I know it's stupid but I'm already desperate)?