• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder?

Bogie

Looked through the books, and I can't figure out where the encoder is, so I can gently wipe it off...

What else is it called?

Bogie, already had to replace mine, not a big deal. Standing in front of your Roland, lift the shield, see that stainless piece above the deck with all of the countersunk bolts in it (its not that...) look up about another 1.5" see that little piece of clear plastic that is sticking straight up. Bingo. Now the trick is to clean that carefully as to not damage it....otherwise you will end up replacing it. It wasn't that hard, you do have to pull all the tin off to get to it (to replace it) if your just cleaning, try from the front. Best of luck.

Fine Line Darrel

Bogie

Okay, I guess I'll wander downstairs with the trust Surefire, and start looking.

Gee... Maybe I _should_ have bought a Roland...

Bogie, I just noticed that you own a Mutoh, so.....because I own a Roland, maybe yours isn't in the same spot....but if you decide to buy a Roland...then I could share with you the exact location.

Remember to engage brain and then share.....duh!

Fine Line Darrel

Bogie

1) I want five minutes alone in a small sealed room with the SOB who designed the thing - I mean, sheesh, you can't take the lid off without unscrewing with the electronics?

2) I have located the encoder strip. It appears clean. I'm going to gently wipe on it anywho. Looks like there's a bit of an abrasion, but it's further down from where I'm getting the glitch. Could that be it?

I hope I don't have any screws left over when I put the thing back together.

Bogie

Okay. Back together, no parts left over. Sending a test print now... Okay...

From what I can see, it's cleared up! There did seem to be a bit of smutz on the clear plastic dealie.

So, I'm guessing that I'm now 95% qualified to be a tech?

Bogie, when my encoder strip went, the roland tech explained that any little bits of stray stuff, over spray from the print heads or a scratch will screw up the strip. He said that the print head takes its reference off of the strip, so that it basically know where its at? so he stressed to me how important it was to keep clean, and the care required to clean it? Yaa...whatever, it works fine now, so I press print and do the happy dance. And yes when mine was broke, I too thought many evil doings on an techno design geek somewhere!!!

Fine Line Darrel

Bogie

Okay... Something tells me that the left coast is actually enjoying Saturday Night...

And so am I. Darn thing's working!

Bogie

They _could_ have designed it for easy maintenance (and I may rework it - the joys of being an amateur benchrest gunsmith/machinist...), but as it is, a service call will require at least one hour of wrench time...

They -knew- what they were doing - how do you think they keep their dealer network happy?

Just printed a row of bumper stickers - everything's looking clean!

WOODBS

what do ya got? i heart my wife? or my kid beat the crap out of your kid at the spelling bee? lol