• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Engineering grade reflective vinyl electrical conductivity?

Patrice Brunelle

13 years in this business and for the first time a customer asks me to provide specification on my reflective vinyl regarding electrical conductivity. I'm using 3M 3290 with 3M 8508 laminate in this particular context. I've contacted 3M Canada in that regard but they were less than helpful. What they told me was they didn't know if those particular material were conductive, that the glass in the reflective was not supposed to be. I don't think ''not supposed to'' is the kind statement my client is looking for. Any other spec sheet I've checked don't mention any of this.

How would you guys approach this particular situation?
Thanks!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Perhaps shop other brands to see if anybody can provide a value for their engineering grade reflective. Nikkalite might try to give you a value on their reflective, and if they do, throw that in 3m's face and see if they kick back an actual value to you.
But, this is all really beside the point, what are their concerns with conductivity? Is this a simple enough situation that you could test a sample, or are they wanting boxes wrapped to go on power poles or something else extreme?
Maybe on the insulated section on a bucket truck? You have to paint them with imron white which is the only paint rated to be non conductive (or so everyone says) so they can pass their dielectric test.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Not 100% sure about 3290, but 680CR is definitely conductive. I just pulled out a roll and poked the probes of a multimeter into a corner and got an actual stable reading of ohms (approx. 100 over distance of 1/4"). The reflective part of the material is certainly glass, however there's a sheet of aluminum I believe between it and the adhesive layer. It won't give you any hard figures, but it might be worth a test to see for yourself if 3290 is conductive using the same method,

Patrice Brunelle

Perhaps shop other brands to see if anybody can provide a value for their engineering grade reflective. Nikkalite might try to give you a value on their reflective, and if they do, throw that in 3m's face and see if they kick back an actual value to you.
But, this is all really beside the point, what are their concerns with conductivity? Is this a simple enough situation that you could test a sample, or are they wanting boxes wrapped to go on power poles or something else extreme?
My client is a company that makes and provide equipment for underground rescue operations. They're setting up equipment down a mine and are required by the mining company to provide specifications regarding hazardous materials, including the electrical conductivity in their reflective material. But you're right about having them test the vinyl on their own. I'll give them a sample and see how it goes from there.

Thanks!

Patrice Brunelle

Not 100% sure about 3290, but 680CR is definitely conductive. I just pulled out a roll and poked the probes of a multimeter into a corner and got an actual stable reading of ohms (approx. 100 over distance of 1/4"). The reflective part of the material is certainly glass, however there's a sheet of aluminum I believe between it and the adhesive layer. It won't give you any hard figures, but it might be worth a test to see for yourself if 3290 is conductive using the same method,
That's good to know about the 680CR, but rather than testing it on my own, I'll tell my client to test it himself, so whatever the result, I won't be held accountable either way.

Browner

I’ve often found the people at 3M Canada to be less that helpful…. if I get a response at all. I’d be getting in touch with someone from 3M in the ‘States in hopes of yielding a better result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk