• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

entitled to compensation or not

This is not to bash anyone but more just curious if you think we are entitled to some kind or compensation or it was our fault, bite it. If you think compensation is due, what would you give or what do you think we should ask

Here goes
We ask for a quote on 72 banners ( adding one more 2 days later) the quote was for 73 - 2 sided pole baners with 4.75" top sleeve and 2" bottom with bar inside and 1 grommet top and bottom final size 19" x 45.5"
Quote came back and we said we are good to go here is example of what it looks like ( this is where it might be some what our fault) in the example we did a 4.75" section than the art section 45.5 and a 2" section for the bottom

we said we would send final art the next day. We did and the art was sent to them as 19" x 52.25" this included a gradient so that when you fold it over it would match the design on the banner.

We were told they would be ready for the 19th, that came and went so did the next date of 21st, and we finally got to pick up 60 of the 73 last night ( some where still out being sewn) got them back and they are the wrong size. they are bigger. Instead of printing what we sent they took our example : showing 4.75" and the 2" and added to our design a solid colour ( the gradient we added now sits up on top were the pole goes and the solid colour doesn't match very well to the design.
They are too long, they say it is our fault because of the example we sent but we say they should have printed our art and than did what the example said and it would of been fine.

we now had to bring in a part timer and 3 of us spent a couple of hours ripping out the top grommet and the stitching and re sizing and cutting off the extra, driving them 1hr 15min one way to have them resewn and will have to travel back tomorrow to pick up and of course we are now behind on the install
so again my question is, was it our fault and we bite the extra expenses ( make a poor profit) or should we be compensated in some form on the price ( only 50% was paid for to our supplier) What would you expect or what would you do

looking forward to see where this one goes

signguy 55

Really hard to visuaiize exactly what you're talking about. But any vendor I've ever used prints exactly what they are sent. You want a 4' x 8' banner you better send a 4' x 8' file, don't send them a 4" x 8" design and expect them to rescale it for you.

A picture would help but it sounds like you guys messed up.

But look on the bright side, now you know.

tylercrum

Sounds like you sent art at size, sent a photographic sample of the type of banner you were after, and they added to your art to make the size match the photographic sample. If that's what happened, you should have made it very clear that the photo was just for the TYPE of banner, not sizing...but if they added to your art, they should have proofed you on it (I certainly would) and the error woulda/coulda been caught there....
Lots of gray area in this one though....

Really hard to visuaiize exactly what you're talking about. But any vendor I've ever used prints exactly what they are sent. You want a 4' x 8' banner you better send a 4' x 8' file, don't send them a 4" x 8" design and expect them to rescale it for you.

A picture would help but it sounds like you guys messed up.

But look on the bright side, now you know.
Exactly, if they had printed what WE HAD SENT and folded over the top to create the sleeve and folded up the bottom we would have been given what we ordered, they added to our layout

rossmosh

I find these situations are typically caused by both the vendor and you, the customer.

It sounds like a case of "We want this, but it should be pretty much completely different" and the vendor got confused. This is why it's ultra important to send out PO's with EXACTLY what you want and PDF documents with EXACTLY what it should look like. I've tried to do it quick and send some sort of written instruction on how to do it, and those are the orders that come out with problems.

The one thing I have to ask, did the vendor not send you a proof? If they didn't, I'd side with you as far as getting a discount. If they did, then it's 100% on you and you have to eat it.

fresh

I wouldn't pay the entire balance due.

And I understand what you are saying.... You sent them the file set up, ready to print & finish. Your vendor decided to add a bleed.

Whenever we have pole banners made, we get a proof that shows exactly how the finished product is supposed to look. OR I send them a proof OR I indicate where the banner is supposed to fold and be hemmed (and then we get a proof back.)

Honestly, I think both of you screwed up by not having a proof. On the other hand, they are 3 or 4 days past the due date, which also kinda stinks.

I find these situations are typically caused by both the vendor and you, the customer.

It sounds like a case of "We want this, but it should be pretty much completely different" and the vendor got confused. This is why it's ultra important to send out PO's with EXACTLY what you want and PDF documents with EXACTLY what it should look like. I've tried to do it quick and send some sort of written instruction on how to do it, and those are the orders that come out with problems.

The one thing I have to ask, did the vendor not send you a proof? If they didn't, I'd side with you as far as getting a discount. If they did, then it's 100% on you and you have to eat it.
No they did not send back a proof or say anything about adding 6++" to the design, I agree once you alter someones design ( especially if it has been quoted as a 45.5" banner ) and you now are ending up with a 50.5" banner, they should have contacted us and it would have been caught

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Our vendor tells us to send the file at the finished size and they add any extra for pole pockets and such. Takes time to get a good repor with your vendors. Once you're all on the same page you're golden.

T_K

In creating the problem with the banner size, I think both sides are at fault. It sounds like you left some grey area available for them to misinterpret what you wanted. I personally have been on both sides of this problem, and it sucks. The simpler and clearer communication is, the better. I would typically send the print file plus a second jpeg showing where the seams or folds in the art should be. This usually helps.

Now, the production issue sounds like it's their fault. You NEVER randomly add a colored section to a customer's artwork. You NEVER randomly change the size of a production file. If you're thinking that they didn't leave bleed (which I've dealt with SOOOO many times), you clarify with the customer. I've had to tell customers we can't make their product in the timeframe they set because they're artwork is NOT actually print ready. Not enjoyable, but necessary sometimes. If this vendor had 1) sent you a proof (best option) or 2) confirmed with you in writing (2nd best) or verbally (poor, but still communicating) what they were doing, then it would be completely on you.

Based on my former boss' example - in the grey area problems, typically he would split the difference. Basically, "we both screwed up, so you eat part and I'll eat part". This might be your best option for maintaining your relationship with the vendor, if that's important to you.

At the same time, they didn't fulfill their end. Missing multiple deadlines, changing artwork without communication. I'd push back really hard before splitting the difference.