• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Entry level CNC router

ChiknNutz

SignRover, what software are you using and what all do you typically do with your 'bot?

MAB, I think you can cut AL, but you'll likely need a spindle instead of a router. A router probably just isn't heavy-duty enough for metals or really even hardwoods (from what I've been reading).

SignRover

Shopbot Details

We use a program originally packaged with our shopbot called VectorCam. It wasn't the easiest thing to learn, and the manual was a farce. But we pounded around until we figured it out. Today we use it blindfolded.

Shopbot has since migrated to newer and easier-to-use proprietary software. I bought a copy of their new Parts Wizard software...but you know about old dogs and new tricks.

We cut about a dozen sheets of 1" aluminum faced foam (Ultra Aluminum), 3 to 4 sheets of 2" extruded foam, and 15 sheets of 1/8" acrylic every week. Once in a while we knock out Precision Board, 1/4" acrylic, and 3/4" MDF.

My only regret, is not upgrading to the hugely quieter spindle driven motor. The drone of the router is nerve racking. I have discovered a great supplier for ear plugs though.

andy

CNC System

Hi,

The machine that I was talking about is a Vimo system. For signmaking purposes the systems are perfect. In the UK we sell them as a complete kit- all machines have proper spindles (not hand held routers in a frame), full vacuum system and all the software and a dedicated PC to run the machine.

I come from a signmaking background myself and always wanted a CNC system. I looked at ShopBot as an option with a 10ft x 5ft bed. Why didn't I buy one? For over $10,000 I didn't really want to make my own vacuum system that might or might not work. Putting together my own frame to hold the shopbot wasn't something I was too keen on- CNC systems are precision production platforms so any slight imperfection with "homemade" components will surely have a big impact on the end results produced. I wasn't too keen on using a standard router and I honestly thought that if I was spending a significant amount of money I might as well do the job properly.

This is just my personal point of view- buying a ShopBot in the US will obviously be easier than shipping one overseas.

With regard to 3 phase power- this is NOT a requirement for a the spindle- our demo system has a 5.4kw unit on single phase. The Vimo manufacturing plant can match the power to your specific requirements- for example- they wire all our UK stock for our 240v power supply.

We also have a vinyl cutting attachment for our demo system. It works perfectly. Obviously every sign shop has their own dedicated plotter but we use our attachment to cut the hexagonal reflective material used on road signs- no plotter I have ever seen cuts this stuff properly. The unit cost about $300.

From what I have seen of the ShopBot software it's a system created for them by Artcam. Vimo machines have their own G-Mover software which is a match for the ShopBot version (comes as part of the package). Artcam is a UK product and can be used with Vimo systems. I do know from talking to the head office here in the UK a new, budget version of Artcam is coming soon.

If you want to find out a bit more about the vimo range it's probably best to contact the US guy

email: andrew@vimotion.com

web: www.vimotion.com

Have a look it might be just what you have been looking for

Cheers
Andy

letterhead101

For a start up CNC the shopbot has done a great job. I bought mine about 3 years ago. Built my own table (to save money). Glad I didn't invest in a high dollar CNC. I am very happy with it's performance.

GraphiXtreme said:
Yeah, started looking into the ShopBots. Can get into one for right around $8000. I estimate closer to $10,000 before it's all said and done though.

I bought the PRT Alpha and I can't tell you how much I'm pleased with the machine and the customer service. But after everything said and done you looking at 20k for doing everything yourself, assembly, HF Spindle, dust collector and money spent on hooking up the electrical. I can't see using anything more powerful than this machine for signs. I only wish I had the room for a 5'x12 instead of the 4'x8' table.

orfasco

GRAPHIXTREME, HAVE YOU LOOKED AT DYNA CNC? THEY ARE AT THE TOP OF MY LIST CURRENTLY. THEY ARE RIGHT IN YOUR BACKYARD IN MONROE WA. I AM WANTING TO VISIT THEM, BUT HAVEN'T YET. I AM INTERESTED IN THEIR MODEL THAT CONVERTS FROM CNC TO PLASMA. I CURRENTLY DO PLASMA SIGNS WITH A PLASMA HAND TORCH. I CAN'T AFFORD 2 TABLES AND THIS COMBO SEEMS THE BEST FIT FOR ME, BUT I HAVE READ THERE ARE A LOT OF DRAWBACKS TO A COMBO TABLE. IF YOU GET OVER THERE TO SEE THE MACHINES, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
orfasco@eoni.com