• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson 70670 and 70675 huge delays in printhead movement

kkell101

Ok this one is kicking my tail and about to drive me crazy. We are running two Epson Surecolors. One being a S70670 and the other S70675. The Rip Software we are using is Onyx Thrive. I am sending work to the printers from Onyx through our network. We are getting huge delays in movement of the printhead on both printers. When we first start printing everything goes great and then all of a sudden after about two banners(64" x 48"), we start seeing a slight delay in the printhead movement on both printers and as time goes on the printhead delays get to like 20 plus seconds. I thought it was network traffic so I put a network switch(Catalyst 2960G) in line with the Onyx computer and the printers to take them off the company network. This made no difference. Also hooked Onyx computer straight to one of the printers with a patch cable and it made no difference. So I have ruled out the network so I start looking at the computer. The specs on the computer is I7 4th Gen with two 1TB SSD's, 20GB of memory, 4GB Nvidia Geforce graphics card and a gig network card. When the printheads start slowing down I check the system resources on the computer and it is hardly being worked. CPU is max 20% usage, memory is 3.5GB - 4GB usage, and nic card is fluctuating between 60KB's - 60MB per second. I changed out the Onyx computer with a higher end I7 6th gen with all the same peripherals with no change. We are running Onyx Thrive version 12.2 and I even upgraded to version 19 and it has made no difference. I don't see both printers having the same problem, but I guess it could happen. Has anyone got any ideas or have had this problem before? I'm at a loss here and need help!

kkell101

We are Ripping images and then printing them. I thought I found the trouble a couple of days ago when I started looking at the file size and a 64"x48" banner was 880MB. Some how the ICC profile, which is a UltraFlex profile got changed to 720x720x1440 or something like that. I set it beck to 320x720 and reduced the file size down to around 200MB-300MB, depending on the file. I have used windows 7 OS and windows 10 OS, which made no difference. Epson seems to think it is the thermals on the printheads, but I have a hard time seeing both machines having that problem. I am starting to question if it maybe Onyx. I have had strange things going on with Onyx where once the printer is done printing it's suppose to remove it from the print queue. Instead what happens is it still shows up in print queue that it is still printing but shows it is 100% done. I have to go into the Onyx work folder and delete it to clear the print queue.

kkell101

Ok here is the latest. I had a technician come out and the bushings for the carriage was dried up. So we took them out cleaned them and put new oil on the pads and used the grease Epson recommends on the side of the bushings that don't have the pad. Also replaced the carriage drive motor. This seemed to take care of the problem for about two weeks and now we are back to the same issues of having huge delays in the printhead movement while printing. The printhead will print like it is suppose too, for a while, and then it will start having delays of 5, 10, 15 seconds when it gets to the end of travel, on either end. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm totally up for any suggestions.

greysquirrel

usually if there is a delay its because data is not getting to the printers fast enough.

So you may have a corrupt printer or profile.
I would start and just re-download your version of onyx from onyxgfx.com and re-install to have onyx repair itself.
Then what I would try is download a fresh profile from Epsonbeta.com/best practices
load it as a new printer. Just disable the other two. Send the file from the new printer to one of the epson. If you have no issues repeat with another new printer install and send again.
This will at least rule out onyx.

if still an issue post back