• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson GS6000

stoneandtle

what rips are you folks using with the GS?

I'm using the ColorBurst, but I'm having a little difficulty trying to use an EyeOne to calibrate the colors - short story, the SpectralVision Pro software isn't working as I expected when doing linearization/measurements.

I'm looking at getting the Caldera RIP software, but that software doesn't run on a PC with a Windows OS. You'll need to get a PC running a version of Linux or get a Mac with the 10.4.xx Tiger or 10.5.xx Leopard OS. I've heard a few other shops using Caldera and they say color management is much easier using it compared to ColorBurst, but I'll know for sure in a couple weeks when I have both versions (ColorBurst on my PC and Caldera on a Mac) running. I want to do side by side comparison running the same job to see what the differences are.

ridley347

I had my Epson installed about a month ago and I agre with everyone about the amazin color and speed. BUT, like some other people here I am getting alot of head stikes and basically Epson has now answers. We are now afraid to print long banners etc. We have waisted 1000's of dollars in ink and material because of head stikes. Any one have any ideas?

astro8

I had my Epson installed about a month ago and I agre with everyone about the amazin color and speed. BUT, like some other people here I am getting alot of head stikes and basically Epson has now answers. We are now afraid to print long banners etc. We have waisted 1000's of dollars in ink and material because of head stikes. Any one have any ideas?

Yep, either your take up reel is off square or not level and needs adjusting or you're not setting your material in square to start with.

Get a tape measure and a level and square everything up yourself. Level the printer. Measure from platen to take up and make sure everything is square and level There is provision for adjustment on the take up.

We run 2xGs6000's and have no problems even printing full rolls of 1650mm wide heavy banner.

parrott

Yep, either your take up reel is off square or not level and needs adjusting or you're not setting your material in square to start with.

Get a tape measure and a level and square everything up yourself. Level the printer. Measure from platen to take up and make sure everything is square and level There is provision for adjustment on the take up.

We run 2xGs6000's and have no problems even printing full rolls of 1650mm wide heavy banner.

We get head strikes every now and then if we are running some sort of cheap material, but for the most part we don't have any head strikes. Like Astro said, we run full rolls of Bantex 18oz (extremely heavy duty) with out any problems. We always feed enough media through to where it almost touches the take up reel and the roll it back up to ensure straight alignment. Also, play with your heater settings to make sure the media is not buckling.

ColesCreations

I just purchase a Mutoh Spitfire to be sold for parts or repair. It has the 100 media handling system, which after a quick look seems like it will fit on the GS6000. It looks very solid- 100 kg/220# max weight rolls on the GS sounds like a good idea to me!

Hopefully this will fix our problems.

Never any other problems after 15 months on the GS. And- it uses almost no ink! (Don't leave it turned off for more than a week)

Davor Červar

The dual CMYK set-up seems to be the only way to get the kind of production speeds you're after. Or moving up to a higher end roll to roll that gets away from the epson heads and their speed limitations.

It's tough to touch their quality but they've never been known for being the speediest print heads. You can only push so much ink through them so fast.
Do you maybe have ICC profiles for caldera rip for GS6000 if running only in single CMYK mode?