• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Printer Keeps Tripping Surge Protector, Should I Get A Battery Backup?

DesignerDecals

Every time I hit print, my Epson SureColor S70670 flips the surge protector. Eventually, when it's warmed up it will print. Should I get a battery backup or plug it straight into the wall or what?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
You could start by plugging it directly, but it kind of sounds like it's drawing too much power for the outlet.

DesignerDecals

I’ll give that a try and see what happens. The power is supposed to be updated in the building eventually. Any temporary solutions?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I’ll give that a try and see what happens. The power is supposed to be updated in the building eventually. Any temporary solutions?
My best suggestion would be to try to limit as much as possible on that breaker, to just the printer if possible. Our wiring at the place we rent isn't the greatest, so we've needed to do work arounds like that for some time, but I don't know what the power draw difference is between your printer and my Roland Printer/cutters.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
most likely the surge protector just has a defective "weak" circuit breaker

just swap it with another one in the shop/office

jfiscus

Rap Master
There are different "grades" of surge protector. Possibly yours just isn't up to snuff. Buy a quality one that will handle the load, not just a cheap one. Epson printers like these are supposed to be on their own 30 amp circuit IIRC.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Power Consumption:Operating: Approx. 800W or Less
Standby Heaters ON: Approx. 580W
Sleep: Approx. 12W
11 amps. With the heaters on
Defective ciruit breaker in the surge protector (things go bad)

Your hair dryer is 15 amp draw

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Those figures don't account for the inrush current when the machine is first turned on and the heaters are trying their hardest to warm up.
We tried a UPS on our 80600 which exceeded the factory figures by some margin, however the initial power up of the machine sucks a lot more juice than they claim.
I'd be looking for a replacement breaker or remove it altogether until the wiring can be upgraded.