• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson r5070 - anyone got one?

ikarasu

Just curious if anyone has one on here?

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now...so far I love it.

The prints come out "Almost" as good as the Epson s80's, better Color gamut than the latex... Way less grain (usually), and so far panel lengths been perfect.... And colors been consistent.

I just did my first 20 ft wall job with it - 5 4 ft x 9 ft panels and everything aligned and matched perfectly. In comparison... Our latex 700 at work couldn't match 3 panels that were 4 ft by 8 ft.... Everything was a quarter of an inch to an eighth of an inch off... It was a huge pain to apply it with 50 pieces to align / stretch media to.

Downsides?

It sounds like a jet engine.

The heater isn't enclosed - it has a heater far away from the media.. .likely to prevent rubs / jams which are common with the latex. But think desktop fan.... That's blowing heat out. We're in a 99 degree heat wave right now, so having it blow air out is brutal.

On-top of that... While I usually don't get graininess, it's been really bad during this heat wave. I'm hoping it's the best wave anyways, the prints look worst than the latex - in fairness, my garage is 105 degrees according to the printer, and the operating range is 86 and lower... It's been complaining it's too hot.... Which is only worsened by the fav there's a jet engine blowing hot air out into it.

Overall... I feel like it's the "best" of both worlds. It has most of the benefits of latex and solvent... With way less of the downfalls of either. In a normal environment it may not be so loud... It's probably 4-5x louder than our 700w though, and the heat dispersement may not be as problematic if it's in a space that's open and fits more than 1 car in it.

For a first gen model, it's great. It was a bit cheaper than the 700 series as well.

Those who have issues with their latex such as panel misalignment, color changes, but like the characteristics of latex may want to look into it. I feel like in a gen or two Epson will easily surpass latex and work out all the kinks...

To be fair - I loved our 560. I know others had issues with it, but we never had color issues or alignment issues in the 4 years we printed on it. The 700 on the other hand has been problematic... It feels like hp may be a bit of a gamble whether you get a good machine or not.

ikarasu

Just for shits and giggles I grabbed our sound measurer from work to test it.

Getting an average of 81 decibels standing infront of the printer. 5 ft away in getting 78. Again... In my garage so it echoes. May not be as bad in a big shop. Up here in Canada.. if you're exposed to 85 db average in a 4 hour period you need to wear hearing protection. With the garage door closed and me being a good 30 ft away on my couch I can still hear it.

. Obligatory video so you can hear just how loud it is...

And a small update... Doing a manual media adjustment got rid of most of the grain... I guess the humidity / heat affects the way it feeds. Time to buy central air and pipe it into the garage!

ikarasu

It's nearly equivalent. They don't list the specs anywhere so I had to reach out to a rep before I bought it.

They claim it does 161 sqft/hr in high quality mode where as the latex 700 does 183 - roughly 10% slower.

I've never tested it though, usually I print 30-40 ft at a time. I've got a few rolls of banners coming up end of next month, so I'll see if they're accurate or not!

I will say this though.... The 560/700 does so many cleanings / nozzle recoveries once the heads get old. Our 700 took 10-15 mins before each print while it did maintenance... The Epson is like a 1 minute warm up... And you can hit print without the heater getting to it's desired temp... So you can start printing right away. .. so far when I've done that it's been fine and still dries before it leaves the machine.

I'd say it's close to the 700 8 pass speed just going by feel.

Mike Perth

Yeah we have a 800w which we nurse daily. For wallpapers it’s a total PITA but for glazing films and white it’s perfect. We might look at a Resin for the wallpapers, how’s the smell when it prints?
Also did you ever consider a Colorado?

ikarasu

No smell, the reasin is pretty much a latex machine. I only ever got smells on certain media on our latex, Im sure when the resin heats that media up it'll smell, but so far nothing.

I bought the resin for my home... I like to play with new technology. I'd love the 1650.... But it wouldn't fit in my garage, and as much as I love new technology, the wife would bite my head off if I bought a 100k machine!

If 1650 is an option and it's in your budget.. so far from what I've heard about then I'd go with one over the resin.

Last edited: