• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S40 new user

chris20630

The installer tech told me to raise lever the evening or weekend. Does the printer perform its autocleaning while lever is raised?
Thank you!

unclebun

Are you talking about the vinyl clamping lever? If so, you should release it any time you're not using it. And yes, it will do self maintenance whether the vinyl is clamped or not.

greysquirrel

Mmm the printer needs to be online and ready “media loaded” for it to do its purge through the night. If it is left in a not printing state the auto cleaning won’t work.
No reason to leave media bar up.

Leave printer loaded lever down…

Only on a vinyl cutter do you need to release the pressure of your clamps.

InkHead

By leaving the pinch rollers down, aren't you potentially causing a the roller that develop a flat spot? I don't have my s80 yet but this is what I have always thought.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Mmm the printer needs to be online and ready “media loaded” for it to do its purge through the night. If it is left in a not printing state the auto cleaning won’t work.
No reason to leave media bar up.

Leave printer loaded lever down…

Only on a vinyl cutter do you need to release the pressure of your clamps.
roland disgrees with you.
our documentation says to raise rollers at end of day

chris20630

Thank you all. It's not really clear now for me, I read the whole Epson SC manual, nothing about that. I tend to not raise the rollers as the tech meant (I never did it with my printers I had before, only with my summa plotter).

CanuckSigns

Our s80600 will do its self clean with the vinyl rollers up or down, it doesn't care.

The only thing I'm unsure about after 6 years of ownership, is if it still cleans if I turn the power off using the front button, I'm too chickenshit to try, so I leave it on and it goes to sleep when needed lol.

Saturn

Aging Member
The only thing I'm unsure about after 6 years of ownership, is if it still cleans if I turn the power off using the front button, I'm too chickenshit to try, so I leave it on and it goes to sleep when needed lol.

The 80600 will not do any cleanings or recirculations with the power button off.

The only time the Epson manual specifically mentions leaving them on 24/7 is when you're in 10-color mode. 10-color mode is the only time the printer will do recirculation of the M/W channel in addition to regular cleanings. In fact the manual mentions turning the printer on just once every 2 weeks to prevent drying out or damage othewise.

I paid pretty close attention to things when I had it in 10-color, and I will admit with white installed it did seem to benefit from being on 24/7, but other than that, I turn mine off when not in use. I print 6-7 days a week, so I never worry about it getting overnight cleanings if I'm in 9-color mode. If I only ran jobs once or twice a week, I suspect I'd be more inclined to leave it on.

I am in the raise the rollers camp though, mostly because the material I use seems to dislike being webbed up overnight.