• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Epson S40600 - Changed Printhead now getting Power Cable Error

Alebaba

Alebaba
Hi Team,

I own an Epson S40600 for about 2.5 years. I needed to change the printhead. Bought a new printhead, downloaded the service manual and service software to make the repair myself. I researched the procedure and followed all the instructions. After changing the printhead, when I turned on the printer, I am now getting a "Power Cable Error - Plug in #2 power cable. Turn power off and on again".

I would like to point that the printer was working perfectly well before changing the printhead - except for the old printhead. All the colors were printing really well except the first cyan. I tried light, medium, heavy cleanings multiple times. Zero improvement. I did a head wash with the cleaning liquid. No luck. Zero improvement. I concluded that it was not a nozzle clog because it had zero improvement. This printhead has had maybe 40-50 head strikes where the printhead touches the vinyl. Light hits. I thought maybe after so many rounds the printhead gave up. Who knows. The reason I am explaining the history is to point out that nothing else could really be wrong.

Here's what I have done to fix that problem:
- tried reconnecting the FCC flexible ribbon cable that connects the printhead to the motherboard. No luck. Tried a few times.
- the service manual recommends I do some continuity tests on the motherboard and FCC cable - will do that tomorrow.
- I even tried switching printheads to the old one. No luck. I did this to test out whether the new printhead simply had problems. Thats not the case. I am getting the same error.
- I called Epson support. The service agent told me he recognized that issue and has had service technicians call before asking that question. He made it sound like it was common. Of course, he didn't want to tell me the solution and instead offered to book a service rep to come to my warehouse. I'll get a quote from them but rather fix it myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

Alex

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
1633492243571.png

1633492264915.png

ikarasu

It's likely your main board. I had a tech out a new head in for me and had the same issues... Everything checked out according to the guide, but they put a new main board in and it fixed it. I don't know why replacing the print head can fry the main board so easy, but it seems to be pretty common when we were googling and trying to figure out what's going on.

lora

I own s40600 as well, and have a 1412 error. Where do you download the service manual from?

Thank you

piwi2006

Having the same issue after replacing the print head witha new one. The printer was working just fine before that

piwi2006

This is a problem that’s occurred for many years. I had to train techs to unplug full power from printers before replacing printheads. It always blew out the boards if you didn’t.
I tested all the fuses but all seem ok, although it makes sense a short while replacing the printhead. I ordered a new mainboard, i´ll keep you updated. Any tips abour replacing the board? Do you think that the new printhead is also damaged for this? Thanks in advance

swordguy3222

I had this too when replacing someones head, after replacing the main board got a new error. Don't remember the exact wording of the error, but it has to do with the front heater. Now waiting on replacement sub-board to correct that problem.

ikarasu

The main board has imbedded fuses (forget the technical name) that can't be replaced without soldering. It seems to happen a lot - the tech who did my printer didnthe same thing... Machine was powered off, but he blew a fuse on the board and had to replace it.

The manual should have diagrams as well as voltages each pin on the main board is supposed to hit, you can check with a meter and see if it's a blown fuse or not... But likely it is.

ikarasu

If you scroll up, signmeup posted it - you're measuring the resistance between a few pins / spots.

Odds are its a fried mainboard - Good to test if you dont want to order one, but since you already did you're probably best to wait.

Keep the power turned off when replacing - It took the tech a few mins to swap my board out then everything booted up perfectly.

PhantomSteve

Does anyone have a solution for this Power Cable issue?
I'm having the same hassle on my 40610.
Tech has changed the following (one at a time and all at once) :
2174251 - EPSON SC40610 BOARD ASSY MAIN
2188981 - EPSON SC-T3200PS POWER SUPPLY
FA06171 - EP SC-S30600 LFP PRINT HEAD

No fix.
Now they are going to change the IH ASSY.RE ESLA[1828616].
But they say they have to change all 4 parts.

If someone has actual knowledge of the real (or even possible) problem I'd love some help.
The machine has been out of action for about 6 weeks now, and the tech guy is lost.
Epson Europe won't help, and Epson SA has apparently outsourced repairs to PartServe (who are useless). I'm not even sure how this works.

netsol

ALWAYS power down machine, unplug power cable WAIT 15 minutes for all capacitors to drain down
it's too easy to do irrepairable damage when reconnecting those ribbon cables
also inspect the conductors at the ends of those ribbon cables before reconnecting.
we are always in a hurry to see the printer printing normally again, but there are too many chances to do damage.

it is YOUR $2000 or higher system board you are protecting.
it wouldn't be over reacting to purchase an antistatic wrist strap (but, at least touch the platen or other metal parts before touching sensitive electronics, especially if you just walked across carpeting on the way back to the machine)

PhantomSteve

The solution to this is to replace both power boards AT THE SAME TIME.
It took Epson 11 weeks to puzzle out our printer.
The repair is clearly stated in the manual — and it's clear that both boards must be replaced at the same time.