• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S40600 grainy output

soggywinter

The setup:
Epson S40600
Flexi 21
Briteline 6mm adhesive vinyl
Summa S2T140

Is there a way to get smoother/less grainy output from an Epson S40600 like with smaller dots? I've tried other medias and running the same jobs from Onyx training wheel edition, and with more passes as initial diagnostic steps. This isn't an problem with larger prints like signage and large stickers, but I'd like to be able to offer smaller stickers without compromise. thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 434

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm going to bet that it is the media. When I've ran cheaper media in the past I've seen results like this before. We get ultra smooth crisp prints off of our Epsons.

neutrinocv

Thanks. Do you have recommendations?
We use a lot of 3M IJ35 on our S40600 and get very good output even at 6 passes with the profile supplied by Epson/Onyx ... When using Briteline or other similar low end vinyl (that's not very often) we use the same IJ35 profile and get very good results too.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We use absolute garbage material for labels sometimes (think $65/roll for 54" x 300ft) and still get near photographic output using our own well crafted media modes and profiles.

How many passes is the print mode you're using?
I've printed 4 pass that looks cleaner than what you're getting.
8 or 12 pass should be blowing any other printer out of the water the way the Epsons should be printing.

Saturn

Aging Member
Lot of streaks too, can you upload a nozzle check? I wouldn't think it's the media unless you're using something 1000% not meant for eco-solvent.

You don't say how the Onyx prints actually looked, other than you ran them. I know from my own experience that Onyx is going to have a greater number of (and easier to make work) color profiles than Flexi, so I would make sure you're using a good profile AND have the corresponding proper mode settings, whether it's Flexi or Onyx. Not all mode settings can or should be changed within a specific profile.

soggywinter

We use absolute garbage material for labels sometimes (think $65/roll for 54" x 300ft) and still get near photographic output using our own well crafted media modes and profiles.

How many passes is the print mode you're using?
I've printed 4 pass that looks cleaner than what you're getting.
8 or 12 pass should be blowing any other printer out of the water the way the Epsons should be printing.
I tried 4 pass and 6 pass. 8 and 12 pass out of Flexi result in puddles.

soggywinter

Lot of streaks too, can you upload a nozzle check? I wouldn't think it's the media unless you're using something 1000% not meant for eco-solvent.

You don't say how the Onyx prints actually looked, other than you ran them. I know from my own experience that Onyx is going to have a greater number of (and easier to make work) color profiles than Flexi, so I would make sure you're using a good profile AND have the corresponding proper mode settings, whether it's Flexi or Onyx. Not all mode settings can or should be changed within a specific profile.
The Onyx prints looked identical. I'm using an Orofil profile for Flexi due to Grimco not publishing Flexi profiles. The media is Briteline IM3222 matte.

Saturn

Aging Member
When I open your attachment from the first post I can see streaks both in the art and on the (I assume) blank areas of your material, so I would first focus on the mechanical side of things. If you want good feedback you'll definitely need to post a nozzle check.

Your material is general enough for these machines that almost any profile, mode, or RIP should be producing better results.

soggywinter

I compared the profile that I setup with a 3m IJ35-10 profile in Epson Edge dashboard and reduced the platen gap from 2 to 1.6, which made a huge improvement in image quality. I'll post more details soon.