• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson s40600 issue

RG

In the middle of a 4X8 print, nozzles drop out causing horizontal banding on a reflex blue background. Nozzle test was 100% when the print started. Does anyone know what causes this? Also, can you pause in the middle of a print, do a head cleaning, and resume the same print? I've never had to try doing that. Thanks for any suggestions.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yes, you can pause (briefly) in the middle of a print without issue.
A slight head strike, maybe on the material clamp if it is dirty, can knock out a few nozzles during a print.

RG

There was no head strike. I'm leaning toward static electricity. It's very dry here today. Does that brief pause allow time for a head cleaning?

mdjamesd

hit the pause button, then once the print has paused, hit maintenance, and it will give the option for cleaning

RG

Thanks mdjamesd. Have you done that yourself before? I just talked to a Grimco tech. He said that to do a cleaning during a print, you have to go in through the control panel, select the media you are using, and set it up to pause and do a selected cleaning after a certain number of feet have been printed. He also said that a flush would probably solve my problem.

DAVID MARSHALL

That's interesting, never heard of that. Any reason you think that might be?
I put it down to static electricity. It only happens with certain medias and only when the relative humidity is low. The experts may disagree with me and that's OK, but I surmised that because the head was high, static electricity couldn't spark between the media and the carriage and instead passed up a jet of ink to the printhead and cured the ink at that nozzle. This of course took the nozzle out of action and so the effect was passed to another nozzle and the pattern repeats. I found I could get the nozzles back by pausing during the print so that the printhead returned to the capped position for 30 seconds where it grounded out the static and the moist caps dissolved the cured ink.

• Informative
Reactions: a77

Northern Design

Northern Design Graphics
Did someone open a door and allow a cold breeze in to the room? It will look like ink drop out but returns to normal shortly after door is closed

ikarasu

Does it happen often? Or just this once?

You can do a cleaning mid print. Hit pause, goto cleaning... Select the cleaning you want, and it'll auto resume printing when your done.

If it happens a lot... And usually after xx ft, you can goto media settings and set it up to do a cleaning every xx ft - that's probably what Grimco was talking about.

I had the same issues.. perfect nozzles, then after 15 ft my cyan would drop and.there would be bad banding. Grimcos fix was to set it up to do a cleaning every 10 ft... It fixed the issue 99% of the time, but obviously wastes ink.

Epson's recommended fix (and what Grimco follows) is a new head, pump assembly and duct assembly. After weeks of dealing with bad prints and not knowing when in my roll it'd be garbage, I caved and spent the 2k to get it done.

They admitted it's a shotgun approach and I could do it one at a time... But they said most of the time the issues return within a week if it's not all done at once, so it's cheaper in the long run to do it all at once.

It's been a few months and all is working perfectly now, the issue hasn't came back even once. So if it constantly happens... It may be worth looking into.

SameDay Signs

What
Does it happen often? Or just this once?

You can do a cleaning mid print. Hit pause, goto cleaning... Select the cleaning you want, and it'll auto resume printing when your done.

If it happens a lot... And usually after xx ft, you can goto media settings and set it up to do a cleaning every xx ft - that's probably what Grimco was talking about.

I had the same issues.. perfect nozzles, then after 15 ft my cyan would drop and.there would be bad banding. Grimcos fix was to set it up to do a cleaning every 10 ft... It fixed the issue 99% of the time, but obviously wastes ink.

Epson's recommended fix (and what Grimco follows) is a new head, pump assembly and duct assembly. After weeks of dealing with bad prints and not knowing when in my roll it'd be garbage, I caved and spent the 2k to get it done.

They admitted it's a shotgun approach and I could do it one at a time... But they said most of the time the issues return within a week if it's not all done at once, so it's cheaper in the long run to do it all at once.

It's been a few months and all is working perfectly now, the issue hasn't came back even once. So if it constantly happens... It may be worth looking in
What kind of Epson? I have an s40600 and honestly if I could get a head and all that for 2k I’d do just to have a basically new machine

ikarasu

S40600. Head was 2.2k Canadian, then the others were roughly 200 each? So total all in was 2.6k Canadian which is roughly 2k usd. Not including install of course.

Grimco messed up my main board when installing, so I got my install for free + a new main board as compensation for being down for an extra few days

It was definately worth it though. Benefit of having a 1 head printer, may be slower but it's not expensive to repair.

SameDay Signs

Ah got ya lol yea we push literally over a million decals out of our s40600 in a year grantes most are smaller we just try and pound out banners and stickers and the speed of the 60600 is amazingly fast