• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Epson S50 printing but not printing

Chasez

So I have a weird problem. This is the first time its ever happened and I've printed this type of file before (the pattern in the file not the file type). Its a very simple gradient of a spot colour (50"w x 110"h white - Labelled Spot1) with an effect in which Onyx (10.2.5) renders correctly, RIP's correctly and has no issues. When I hit print, the Epson fans start up and the printer goes into warmup then after warming up for a while and the print head doing its usual moves (screen shows "printing"), the screen goes to "printer resetting... Please wait" and it resets back to the ready state. Nothing prints.... Onyx shows the job as printed with no errors.

I have tried printing other files and they print without issue so I'm guessing its down to the file itself... I have rebuilt the file 3 times but keep getting the same issue. There hasn't been any recent updates to the Win 7 pro PC, all updates have been done, onyx is up to date (as far as 10.2.5 goes) and Epson is running latest firmware (HL024F4) and all current drivers. When I rebuilt the files I even opened one that prints fine and copied exactly the steps to built it but still get the same issue. We recently installed a new server so I thought that it might be something to do with the save location so I saved the file to the local desktop and RIP'd from there but same results. Spoke with Onyx support and it's not a RIP issue as it is processing the file correctly and not producing any errors.

I'm running out of time as I'm producing samples for a large job that the samples were supposed to be installed last week! Any help at this point will help!!

Chaz

Attachments

• spot_issue_print_rcd.pdf
    654.7 KB · Views: 107

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is something funky about that file. When I open it in Illustrator it has a clipping mask and acts really weird for a file that should be just a square. What design software do you use?

Chasez

There is something funky about that file. When I open it in Illustrator it has a clipping mask and acts really weird for a file that should be just a square. What design software do you use?

Running Illustrator CS6. There shouldn't be any clipping masks... It is a simple rectangle with a spot gradient and an effect. When I open the PDF that I attached in Illustrator I don't get any clipping masks which is weird.

Chaz

Chasez

Now here's another wrench to throw in the problem. I took that same file, sized down to 48" high proportionately, saved, RIP'd, and BAM! it printed no issues.... now its really messing with me!

Chaz

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Try it without the effect just to see what happened. If it starts printing then you know it's the effect. I have seen it happen before and am not sure why it happens but usually you have to rasterize to get it to work with the effect.

Chasez

when you apply the effect it rasterizes automatically. I will give it a shot and see though... but I shrunk the size and printed it printed fine so I'm not sure why it would be the effect...

Chaz

Chasez

So just deleted the effect out of the file completely and still have the same issue... printer starts up then printer resetting... Now I'm really confused.

Chaz

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm stumped. It has to have something to do with how the file is being interpreted by the RIP but I have no clue why or what would cause that.

Chasez

But if the RIP is processing the file correctly, shows preview correctly, doesn't spit out any errors and places job in the buffered jobs area after (thinks the print completed successfully) then it wouldn't be the RIP... Yeah I have no idea either... Onyx has no idea either other than the RIP is processing correctly. Waiting on a call back from my tech to see if he can get in contact with Epson...

Chaz