• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Epson S60600 Headstrikes - Possible Media Sensor Issue

zanro

Just found this page the other day and was hoping for some help.

Been using a epson s60600 for the last few years at my local sign shop. Recently we've been getting headstrikes on our prints and the media clamps. Usually I keep the platen gap to 2.0 but the other day it still had headstrikes after cleaning the nozzles and even moving the platen gap up to 2.5 (material is ij35c) I don't believe it's a media issue since the media clamps themselves get strikes on them too.

When doing a manual cleaning I noticed the Media Sensor seemed to be slightly loose and hanging lower on one side towards the back.

Not sure if we'll need a new sensor from Epson or if I can just fix the loose side myself

Any help would be appreciated

I noticed back in 2019 someone appeared to have the same issue but I'm not sure how it got resolved.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_191539_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_191539_Chrome.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Screenshot_20230228_191608_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_191608_Chrome.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20230301_083800.jpg
    20230301_083800.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

netsol

the epsons i am familiarwith are the much older aqueous ones.
but, are you sure your issues aren't vacuum related (not holding material,flat?)
or feed issues, getting a "rise" or a wave in the material as it feeds?

i may be wrong, but, head height is a mechanical adjustment, not electronic.

when my older roland gets cranky and causes this type of problem, it is because of feed issues, heat, or tension.

zanro

I was thinking that but visually it doesn't appear to have any wrinkles or buckles in the material. I increased the vacuum suction but it still did it. Never had to adjust the tension but I will mess around some more with settings and attach photos today when I get in.

I appreciate the feedback

netsol

can you manually move the carriage across the media? and then have a look at the clearance
perhaps something is loose.
my media clamps always make me nervous, but there is enough clearance they never cause a strike

zanro

can you manually move the carriage across the media? and then have a look at the clearance
perhaps something is loose.
my media clamps always make me nervous, but there is enough clearance they never cause a strike

Attachments

• 20230301_083800.jpg
    20230301_083800.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Compress_20230301_090316_6709.jpg
    Compress_20230301_090316_6709.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Compress_20230301_090316_6859.jpg
    Compress_20230301_090316_6859.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 162

cmoist

Agreed. That cover that is hanging down in the third pic is just a clear plastic piece and it's held on by two sided tape around the perimeter. The whole bottom comes off the carriage with a few screws from underneath. The sensor is housed inside the carriage. The clear plastic just protects it. I would take the bottom of the carriage off, remove that piece, clean and reinstall with some new tape.

evoprinting

We have an S40 and just started having a similar issue. We haven't had this happen so often in 3 years.
I've increased the Platten Gap to the max, increased vacuum to the max, increased tension. Ive also decreaed the preheat and platten heat. All of that has helped a little but not solved the issue completely. Now there is no more room for adjustments.
I'll check the sensor on Monday. Thanks for posting.

Saturn

Aging Member
Depending on the material, it could be worth trying more heat as well as less. I could never get bi-directional to print well (because of slight warping) until I upped the pre-heat. This was on GF-203. The heavier paper backing would flatten with more heat.

The vacuum on the Epson seems pretty wimpy...

evoprinting

Agreed. That cover that is hanging down in the third pic is just a clear plastic piece and it's held on by two sided tape around the perimeter. The whole bottom comes off the carriage with a few screws from underneath. The sensor is housed inside the carriage. The clear plastic just protects it. I would take the bottom of the carriage off, remove that piece, clean and reinstall with some new tape.
Thanks for this post. Like the original post, we were having the head strike problem as well. Today, when checking the plastic cover, it just fell off. The double sided tape around the edge was kinda gooey.
I cleaned the clear plastic and ready to try and reapply it. I need to clean the bottom of the carriage. I see two screws in the area where the clear plastic cover was. Are those the screws you were referring to? Is there anything else that needs to be done in order to remove the plastic carriage? Otherwise, I may just try to clean it and put the clear cover back on.
Thanks again for the info!

Attachments

• 20230508_094642.jpg
    20230508_094642.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20230508_094617.jpg
    20230508_094617.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 114

cmoist

Here is a photo of the position of the four mounting screws. I seem to remember there was another screw off to the right side of the photo that I had to remove as well.
Capture.PNG

evoprinting

There is indeed one additional screw to the right when looking up. It was pretty easy to take off and re-apply the clear plastic. Just ran a new job and NO HEAD STRIKES!!! Thanks again!