• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S60600 Ink Odor?

I went to a friends shop to see his S60600, I noticed a distinct smell, is that something that comes with a solvent printer? I've had Roland Eco-Sol printers for the last 15 years and they don't have a smell.. Trying to decide weather to pull the trigger on ordering a new printer.. My office is 1 large air conditioned room of 1700 sq ft

CanuckSigns

We have an S80600 and yes it does smell. Ours is in a room on it's own around 16'x20' with 9 ft ceilings and if you are printing a lot you can smell it inside the room. We recently put an exhaust fan in the room venting out the back wall and it has made a huge improvement.

Roland smells as well, you probably got used to its smell. Your office should be large enough not to smell anything in areas other than the close surrounding of the printer.

greysquirrel

All eco solvent printers smell. The Epson sure color series like other manufacturers has an additive that assists with quicker off gassing(to compete against Hp) that has an oder.
The eco is for economic inks..nothing to do with environmental friendly.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
All eco solvent printers smell. The Epson sure color series like other manufacturers has an additive that assists with quicker off gassing(to compete against Hp) that has an oder.
The eco is for economic inks..nothing to do with environmental friendly.

May I please have your source on this?
Every search I do states the "eco" refers to low VOC content compared to traditional solvent inks.

greysquirrel

Spent the last 14 years working for a reseller as a service manager working directly with engineers from Seiko, Roland, Epson, HP...every technical and sales training I have ever attended has described eco solvent like 2CT. VOC levels are just below the levels that require ventilation. I guess that makes them safe....I certainly would not start a home business with one.

KeithMan

These comments make me think that none of you guys have ever been around when an offset press was washed up. Now those are some fumes. After 30 years of running offset presses, the fumes from our 40600 doesn't seem bad at all. I am pushing 50 and have been around these chemicals my entire life. So far I am healthy as a horse and don't have any ill effects. The worst part is how dry your hands get when they are exposed to rags with solvent all day.

a77

Keith is 50 and feels like a horse... Hmm.

The Surecolors do stink. And I would not want to use them in a smaller area/shop. We put some venting outside, didn't help much.

jfiscus

Rap Master
They all smell, you're just accustomed to the smell of your printers' inks. After a couple days you wont notice the Epson's smell anymore either. The Eco-solvent are definitely less potent that full solvents.

rjssigns

Have a bag of MS31 black ink waiting to go in my Mutoh. Looking forward to switching remaining colors to MS31 and comparing odor/smell.

Whatever is in the printer now has a definite smell. More than my Roland did.

BTW Reason I don't know what's in the printer is it has the dealers label on it. Not complaining since it runs great with no issues over two years.