• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S60600 VS Seiko Color Painter M-64S

Cmiller01

Printer
Hello everyone,
We are considering a few printers for purchase, and just searching for some opinions from those who may currently own the machines. Right now we have a Mimaki JV33-160 and it just cannot keep up with the workload we have the past year. It runs 7 days a week, day and night.

We are looking to purchase another RTR machine right now, and a flatbed next year. We really are loving the Seiko RTR. Went to a trade show and took some of our files to print samples. It was running on production mode and the print quality is right about where we are with the mimaki on 8pass except the fact that it is 3.5x faster than what we are running now which is what we need. Outdoor ink durability is a plus. Color consistancy is a must. We run alot of repeat jobs that must match closely to what was ran before. We run alot of textured wallcoverings ,window perf, vinyls, and some specialty backlit and paper materials.

Thoughts on Epson S60600 vs Seiko M-64S? No latex are being considered at the time because of color consistency issues we have had in the past with our HP's.

Correct Color

Of all the printers I see, the Seikos (now Oki) and the Epsons are probably my overall favorites. But the comparison I'd make is between the S80600 and the M64.

Of the printers you listed, I'd go with the Oki. The reason being that if you're not going to get any extra colors in your inkset, you at least want light cyan, magenta and black if you're serious at all about point of sale or close-in viewing work of any kind. The Seiko has all three and from my experience it's the best built, beefiest printer out there. It just has the look and feel of quality-built machinery, and it can print pretty well very fast, and really well reasonably fast.

However, I'm a huge fan of orange in the inkset as well, and if you ever want to print Home Depot Orange, or AT&T Orange, or KTM Orange, or Pantone 021, you won't get all the way there with either the M-64 or the S60600.

But you will with the S80600, which, if it was me, would probably be the one I'd buy.

StarSign

We just added a M64s and the sucker is fast, maintenance is a breeze and I have local support........

Brands Imaging

I just want to bump this thread if I can. We are in the same EXACT boat as the OP here. We have the JV33 - have been burn by the CC issues with HP in the past and have a JV33. I'm leaning towards Mimaki bc we know the machine and it's never let us down but the S60600's with faster curing inks and semi-self cleaning wiper seem pretty nice...any help would be appreciated with my question or at least the outcome of this thread?

Thanks!

ProColorGraphics

I still love my Epson S80! The colors are amazing and the amount of cleaning really isn't much different than the HP 360 I had before it.

Brands Imaging

I still love my Epson S80! The colors are amazing and the amount of cleaning really isn't much different than the HP 360 I had before it.

How long have you had it for? What RIP are you using? Can you compare it to your latex machines? How does 30' of solid black do on it when you laminate?

danno

We are still liking our M64. Have replaced a couple front pumps, but were covered under warranty. Minor issues other than that. We hope to be adding another one soon.

ProColorGraphics

How long have you had it for? What RIP are you using? Can you compare it to your latex machines? How does 30' of solid black do on it when you laminate?

I use the latest version of Caldera with mine. I have had my S80 for about 8 months. I also have a S70 that I have had for about 2 years. Both have been great machines. I like them better than my latex printers. The instant dry feature wasn't a huge deal for me. I think the quality is way better, which it should be with the extra colors. I haven't done solid blocks of black, but have done large blocks of a blue, which it did just fine. I also make my own profiles, which I am sure helps too.

Brands Imaging

I use the latest version of Caldera with mine. I have had my S80 for about 8 months. I also have a S70 that I have had for about 2 years. Both have been great machines. I like them better than my latex printers. The instant dry feature wasn't a huge deal for me. I think the quality is way better, which it should be with the extra colors. I haven't done solid blocks of black, but have done large blocks of a blue, which it did just fine. I also make my own profiles, which I am sure helps too.

hows the smell? are the inks really that much drier than another solvent machine? I guess you s70 would be a good comparison

a77

I have the S40 (I used Caldera as well). Really like the machine.... except for the smell.
A lot stronger than the previous generation. Epson says the smell shouldn't be different, and it shouldn't be bothering me, but in a 2000 sq.ft. shop here, 18' high... it stinks it up pretty bad when printing heavy coverage. So far that's my only complaint.

ProColorGraphics

hows the smell? are the inks really that much drier than another solvent machine? I guess you s70 would be a good comparison
There is a smell of course, but I don't think it's that bad. I think the smell from the S70 is a lot stronger. The part of my shop with the printers is about 1500 square feet with 14' ceilings. I have the 2 Epson's and a LED UV printer in it. It both epson's are cranking out heavy coverage it will start to get quite strong, but otherwise I don't notice it much.

mdjamesd

We have 2 S30's and got an S60 about 3 months ago. The smell from the S60 is a bit stronger than the S30's, but after a week of using it, it's not as noticeable. The printer is profiled differently than the S30, so you will definitely need some color management. It prints amazing however! Right about 3 times faster than the S30. The cleaning schedule from the factory is, in my eyes, obsessive...so, a little playing with the settings, and its much more acceptable.

The take up system is leaps and bounds better than the S30, much more user friendly.