• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S80600 / Edge Print RIP - Spot Colours

BVG

Yes another colour management thread...this one has me completely lost.

I'm printing using Epson Edge Print. If I print the Pantone Chart uploaded in this post I get beautiful colour that matches my actual Pantone swatch book nearly perfectly.

However if I use the same spot colour (eg. 021C) within Corel 2020's Pantone+ Solid Coated V4 palette, the print output is not even close.

Edge Print is detecting both as spot colours within the colour management tab. Are the LAB formulas for each colour different between palettes???

jfiscus

Rap Master
Every program, and version within the program, and colorspace(s) within the version has different values encoded into it to try to get the closest color bridge equivalent to the Pantones spot colors from only using CMYK inks.
If you don't know what program/version/colorspace the "Pantone chart" you printed originated from, try importing it into your usual program/colorspace and saving it back out from there and reprinting it.
The RIP can also be set to honor your colorspace or override it, I would guess, I have not used that RIP.

• Agree
Reactions: BVG

yannb

In order to simulate/troubleshoot spot colors with any rip/printer combination, some things are important:
1. The spot colors should be defined as ‘spot’ and not as ‘process’ colors. This can be checked in your PDF or rip.
2. Recognition of spot colors by the rip is often case sensitive. Also Pantone 123 C is not the same as Pantone 123 CVC or Pantone 123 U.
3. There must be a spot color library in your rip. This connects the name of the color to its LAB value. If there’s not, the rip will use the embedded alternate color space of the spot color, often CMYK. The result is then interpreted as if it were a regular CMYK combination, and output depends on the source CMYK profile set in the rip. By default, there is NO Pantone spot color library in Epson Edge.
4. Preferably, the illumination (M0/M1/M2/M3) used to create the output profile should match the illumination of the LAB values of the spot color library. This is often hard to know which is used, but it can make a difference when matching light colors. Profiles available in Edge Dashboard are M1 based (D50).

Good hunting

• Love
Reactions: BVG

BVG

In order to simulate/troubleshoot spot colors with any rip/printer combination, some things are important:
1. The spot colors should be defined as ‘spot’ and not as ‘process’ colors. This can be checked in your PDF or rip.
2. Recognition of spot colors by the rip is often case sensitive. Also Pantone 123 C is not the same as Pantone 123 CVC or Pantone 123 U.
3. There must be a spot color library in your rip. This connects the name of the color to its LAB value. If there’s not, the rip will use the embedded alternate color space of the spot color, often CMYK. The result is then interpreted as if it were a regular CMYK combination, and output depends on the source CMYK profile set in the rip. By default, there is NO Pantone spot color library in Epson Edge.
4. Preferably, the illumination (M0/M1/M2/M3) used to create the output profile should match the illumination of the LAB values of the spot color library. This is often hard to know which is used, but it can make a difference when matching light colors. Profiles available in Edge Dashboard are M1 based (D50).

Good hunting

This was it! There being no default Pantone Library within Epson Edge was what was causing all of my dramas. It was able to recognize the spot colours but had no library to look the values up in, so I added in the Pantone Library as a Color Collection and it's now able to lookup the correct LAB/CMYK values.

Can't thank you enough!

electricfly

Can you list how you got the PMs color into The Edge rip I’m using it with the F570

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk