• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Epson S80600 - how many layers of white do you print?

jagku

Hi,

A few questions about the white ink as have some jobs coming up that require underpinning (to place on shop windows, print looking out of the shop):

1) How many layers of white ink do people print when you overpin jobs so that the ink doesn't look transparent?
2) In terms of white on the visible layer - I am assuming you set this to Spot 1. Does this just print using the same number of layers you choose when you edit the printer settings.
Therefore, if you choose 32 layers with overpin, then you are actually printing 64 layers where you have the white ink?

Just want to get an idea on what people do in a real world situation.

TIA!
JK

• Agree
Reactions: mim

mim

0_o
Commenting so I get updates, this is something I've been trying to wrap my head around for a while.
I can only do 2 layers right now. If I need more layers I make tic marks so I can reload the media and pray it lines up correctly. It usually lines up within an 16th-8th of an inch.
Fails if you have to use the cutter though, which is often the case.

I think there are ways to do more but I haven't figured it out.

jagku

Commenting so I get updates, this is something I've been trying to wrap my head around for a while.
I can only do 2 layers right now. If I need more layers I make tic marks so I can reload the media and pray it lines up correctly. It usually lines up within an 16th-8th of an inch.
Fails if you have to use the cutter though, which is often the case.

I think there are ways to do more but I haven't figured it out.
Hi, sorry I meant how many passes of white ink do people use.

swordguy3222

I use both 18pass and 32pass, depending on what I'm printing. I always use High Contrast White when printing with white.

netsol

i think that is sort of a misnomer
I ASSUME when you print 32 layers, you are printing 4 layers each of 8 colors
(how many ink lines go to your head & how many are white?)
when you print 64 layers, you are printing 8 layers each of 8 colors

the difference between 32 layers and 64 layers is that the substrate advances 1/2 as far, doubling the number of "layers"

it is ok to correct me if i am wrong, but, i believe this is how that works,

Ink layers and print passes refer to completely different things.

Multiple ink layers are typically used with white ink or varnish. With white ink, two layers would be white under CMYK (underflood) or white over CMYK (overflood), or sandwich modes 3-layer CMYK-white-CMYK or 5-layer opaque CMYK-white-black-white-CMYK. It is also possible to print 1-layer with white ink.

Pass counts refer to the total number of times the printhead deposit ink to the media - expressed in # of carriage passes over the media.