• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Epson S80600 Printing 97% to size/No evidence in Rip queue

Image Authentics

We've been struggling with printing panels. I rip them, verify the size in the queue and print but my panels are coming out less than 100% to size.

We run a Epson S80600 with Onyx 18 rip software. I'm essentially ripping panels at 52"x90" for a 44ft trailer wrap. I always rip and print each side at the same time to be sure of print/condition consistency at least from side to side. So, out of 11 panels on the driver side 7 of them came out at the right size. The other 4 panels came out sized at 50.5"x87.5" - That's about 97% to scale. I checked my printer log, they all check out at the right size, the queue log has no red flags either.

So does anyone have a clue where is this happening if the rip is showing correct history but the printer is giving me a panel at 97% to size!?

DAVID MARSHALL

I suspect that for some reason the media feed rate has altered on the printer. It can be something as simple as something dragging on the feed roll or takeup roll. If the width of the print is correct then some investigation of the feed rate of both the machine and the rip is a good place to start.

netsol

But david, he says the width is not correct

I am going to make a guess, because of the large number of panels & the size that he is running out of free david
He said the width is wrong as well
I am going to guess we are running out of space on the RIP or the design pc. Typically, we end up needing 3 times the size of the job size, by the time all the processing is done. I would delete ALL the temp files in the 3 normal locations (c:\temp, c:\windows\temp & current user\temp)

To delete current user temp:
Go to c:\users
find your user go to app data
Since this is a hidden folder go to address bar and add \appdata at the end of the line <enter>
Go to local > go to temp
Delete everything

If you want to be thorough dellete files and history in internet options as well as any additional browsers

Final step, empty recycle bin
Then do a restart
Repeat this process for rip as well as design pc, assuming they are not the same

I hope this helps, we have had this and other odd effects on huge jobs when completely running out of free space

As an additional thought, you might want to open a command prompt and run a chkdsk /f in case there are any disk errors (remember to do this to both windows drive & data drive, if you have more than one)

Again, do this to both design pc & rip, if they are not the same

Have you opened a ticket with onyx, as well?

Image Authentics

But david, he says the width is not correct

I am going to make a guess, because of the large number of panels & the size that he is running out of free david
He said the width is wrong as well
I am going to guess we are running out of space on the RIP or the design pc. Typically, we end up needing 3 times the size of the job size, by the time all the processing is done. I would delete ALL the temp files in the 3 normal locations (c:\temp, c:\windows\temp & current user\temp)

To delete current user temp:
Go to c:\users
find your user go to app data
Since this is a hidden folder go to address bar and add \appdata at the end of the line <enter>
Go to local > go to temp
Delete everything

If you want to be thorough dellete files and history in internet options as well as any additional browsers

Final step, empty recycle bin
Then do a restart
Repeat this process for rip as well as design pc, assuming they are not the same

I hope this helps, we have had this and other odd effects on huge jobs when completely running out of free space

As an additional thought, you might want to open a command prompt and run a chkdsk /f in case there are any disk errors (remember to do this to both windows drive & data drive, if you have more than one)

Again, do this to both design pc & rip, if they are not the same

Have you opened a ticket with onyx, as well?
This is excellent advice but it is part of our daily routine already.

Onyx actually hasn't been as helpful as I would have hoped. They actually have us the same advice you have a couple months ago and no one can seem to locate the root of the problem thus far. Onyx print logs are all the correct sizes. (I only take that lightly though because we all know how computers can be.) Basically I rip and print one size, delete the temp files, restart, everything runs a works super fast and then I repeat with the opposite side.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sounds like you might need a newer faster RIP computer, more hard drive space, or you are setting up your art files at too high of resolution. We only have to clean out the Onyx RIP que every few months here and we have three printers running paneled truck wraps all day long. I would also suggest upgrading Onyx, there were a few older versions that were glitchier than others.

netsol

but, go figure...
isn't it odd that when it hits whatever resource "plateau" for want of a better word, that it doesn't just screw up one panel? (and then go back to printing @100% size)
seems like something onyx should be finding and addressing in a hotfix

NEXT TIME it happens, have a look at windows application logs, etc
if i were betting i would be looking at environment variables, etc