• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson s80600 software

altereddezignz

We are pretty sure we have narrowed our printer down to the Espon S80600. Dealer states it comes with Onyx Gama. The issue here is i have never used anything other than flexi. We currently use Flexi 12 CC Cloud version. This is where you always have the newest of the new updates and software. We do A LOT of print cut decals and such. I have read that onyx is not so good at this. I was asked if i wanted to upgrade but again Onyx software is so new to me.

Does anyone have any input that might help as this will all be new. Never before used a Epson printer nor onyx software. Flexi does show support for the S80600 tho.

Figuring out the printer was not an easy task We have Roland, Mutoh, HP, and Epson dealers withing 3-4 hours of us driving time. To us the availability to offer a true red and a brighter orange might or might not help us but no none around here has that capability. WE had made the choice to run the roland xr-640 pro4 or the Truevis 64. The xr640 tho wit the issues i have read about and heard lately on the take up system has me very worried about that as we print over 20-30 ft at times and i cannot wait around and baby set a printer for that long. Also reading of head alignment issues with the xr640 is another set back. The TrueVis sounds like a great machine just again with roland having issues not sure about that one lol..

The lack of knowledge in forums and so on with the S80600 is a little daunting but we are as well purchasing the full xrite ipublisher pro 2 setup so maybe we can create our own profiles and not worry about canned profiles again.

I have found 1 user so far that has helped me with info a lot but always looking for more information!!!
Thanks again

jfiscus

Rap Master
We run our Epsons and Mimakis here on Onyx; it is really pretty simple to use once set up.
We only run a couple different profiles here and they print beautifully every time. We also do a LOT of print-cuts with Onyx w/o issues.

Correct Color

I'll just go ahead and say this...

First, you can't profile in Gamma Print. Not just ICC profile, but create media profiles at all. It has no Media Manager. What's more, you can't cut with it either. At all. It is very, very bare-bones Onyx.

Second, I'll just go ahead and advise you not to buy i1 Publish. At least not yet. Understand that learning to profile correctly takes a great deal of time. The expense of the software is just the very beginning. You'll be much better off in the long run paying me to come do your profiles than attempting to learn to do it yourself.

Also, if you want to keep GammaPrint, I can profile your machine in Onyx with no cost to you but the profiling.

Or, if you want to upgrade your Onyx to include Cut Server,as an Onyx dealer I can make sure you pay the minimum you have to pay to get there, and get only what you need.

Fact is you'll be doing yourself a huge favor if you call me now to set this all up for you. I can guarantee you that if you do, you'll be up and running in the shortest amount of time, getting the best results and for less money than if you try and go any other route.

(Edited to add: The cut features in Flexi that most people prefer over Onyx are available in Onyx. You just need the Layout Tool to use them. Which, of course is available as part of an upgrade. However, lots of people don't use them are are perfectly happy cutting with Cut Server in Onyx. It mainly depends on what you're used to, and what you're trying to do.

What Onyx is though is a much more robust RIP than Flexi. If I was buying as much printing horsepower as you're getting, Onyx or Caldera would be the only RIP choices I'd even consider.)

altereddezignz

Thanks for the info. This is the second time i have ever heard of Caldera. We do a lot of decals, sticker and contour cut stuff as well. Our onyx comes with cut server as well at no additional change so we will have that as well.

I like the fact of being able to profile and check colors with the xrite system the way you can in house and on the fly. Not saying it will be a day and night way for me to learn and not against someone doing the first profiling for us but the ability to calibrate monitors, printers, scanners and so on in house is an advantage.

I am curious as to how if i cannot even create a profile in onyx how your able to create a profile in my onyx? This sound strange to me but what do i know lol.

I'll just go ahead and say this...

First, you can't profile in Gamma Print. Not just ICC profile, but create media profiles at all. It has no Media Manager. What's more, you can't cut with it either. At all. It is very, very bare-bones Onyx.

Second, I'll just go ahead and advise you not to buy i1 Publish. At least not yet. Understand that learning to profile correctly takes a great deal of time. The expense of the software is just the very beginning. You'll be much better off in the long run paying me to come do your profiles than attempting to learn to do it yourself.

Also, if you want to keep GammaPrint, I can profile your machine in Onyx with no cost to you but the profiling.

Or, if you want to upgrade your Onyx to include Cut Server,as an Onyx dealer I can make sure you pay the minimum you have to pay to get there, and get only what you need.

Fact is you'll be doing yourself a huge favor if you call me now to set this all up for you. I can guarantee you that if you do, you'll be up and running in the shortest amount of time, getting the best results and for less money than if you try and go any other route.

(Edited to add: The cut features in Flexi that most people prefer over Onyx are available in Onyx. You just need the Layout Tool to use them. Which, of course is available as part of an upgrade. However, lots of people don't use them are are perfectly happy cutting with Cut Server in Onyx. It mainly depends on what you're used to, and what you're trying to do.

What Onyx is though is a much more robust RIP than Flexi. If I was buying as much printing horsepower as you're getting, Onyx or Caldera would be the only RIP choices I'd even consider.)

altereddezignz

What version or edition of Onyx do you run.

We run our Epsons and Mimakis here on Onyx; it is really pretty simple to use once set up.
We only run a couple different profiles here and they print beautifully every time. We also do a LOT of print-cuts with Onyx w/o issues.

Snydo

For a heavy print/cut workflow I would find it hard to believe that Onyx in any flavor is going to hang with Flexi CC, if it does they have made some drastic improvements to Onyx in the last couple years.

Epson SureColors are great machines, we have 3 with a 4th arriving in 2 weeks. At which time I will have 4 copies of Onyx collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

Correct Color

I am curious as to how if i cannot even create a profile in onyx how your able to create a profile in my onyx?

I don't.

I install a copy of Onyx that has a Media Manager, use my key, make the profiles, import them into your GammaPrint, and then delete my copy.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We are looking to have to run onyx postershop.
Works great for us here, we use Mimaki plotters with it and everything works great.
I have had trouble with radial gradient fills in Illustrator files doing wacky things in the RIP, but nothing else I can recall.

Correct Color

I have had trouble with radial gradient fills in Illustrator files doing wacky things in the RIP, but nothing else I can recall.

That was a bug that cropped up for awhile in... 10 or 11, can't quite remember which.

Long since fixed though.

altereddezignz

So does anyone run Epson printers on Flexi CC. As we have more experience with Flexi than any other rip software. We do not design with it only rip with it and for the lower monthly price and it always being up to date in my mind it might be worth it to stick with Flexi CC rather than change to lets say postershop. I didnt realize Caldera was linux or mac.

Just curious on the S80600 if it handles the extra ink channels correctly.

Correct Color

At present on the Flexi website they do not show it as a supported printer. Odds are that will change, but if it was me, I'd take now as a good time to migrate over to Onyx.

timgo

Graphics Designer
cadlink print and cut..

We run our Epsons and Mimakis here on cadlink print and cut; it is really pretty simple to use once setup.

altereddezignz

The website is way behind lol. I did install the printer on flexi as it does show compatable. I would need flexi print shop so adding another 2 grand or so. I have been using flexi for years but i do not design on flexi i only rip and layout with it.

Was just hoping to find someone who has the same combo. I run CC version of flexi so it is always up to date and the newest version.

Thanks for all the replys. Right now we are just getting everything in house and going and was hoping to not have to change software lol..

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_184 Oct. 26 15.27.jpg
    ScreenHunter_184 Oct. 26 15.27.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 109

altereddezignz

Just if anyone wants to know Flexi CC and Epson S80600 together are a complete nightmare. 3 weeks into this and we now have onyx and was able to set up and print an amazing file in less that about 30 minutes. Granted i have no idea how to use Onyx so i just opened in rip and printed. Not even sure of what profile was used lol...

Flexi has devistating color correction issues and even more issues when you try to use the software day after day with changing color....