• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Stylus 7800 Pro printer

Darklight

First, Thanks to the assembled genius here for providing so much good information! Lurking = Learning around hear, so thank you all. I have received an Epson 7800 printer, but have very little knowledge beyond the manuals. Its 8 color, uses epson's k3 inks, and is 24". If I try to use this in some sign applications, will I be successful? Id like to print on vinyl with it, mount it to various substrates, laminate it and have some intermediate outdoor durability. I know knothing about it other than it does poster-size and banner-size photos very well. Is there a way to get some vinyl-based work out of this thing? What vinyl or what laminate would I use? I know Im rambling, but Im frustrated!! I know the answer is on this forum from the assembled intelligecia!!!! Any help would be more appreciated than you can imagine.
Thanks in advance,
Dark

Last edited:

gvgraphics

It will print on coated media such as poster boards, vinyl and banner stock. Call your vender and ask if they carry these products. Good luck

Simon Belmont

good printer, great workhorse. I would contact your supplier about media because there will be a fair amount of product that you won't be able to print on. On top of that your media will be more expensive. But you will get great output from the machine and will be happy with it. Just make sure you buff up your blacks because the ultrachrome ink set is notorious for not producing a rich black.

Blazingsun

Where using AveryIPM2000 vinyl and Avery DOL1000 Laminate, With our r1800 epson for short run Decals, Which uses the same Inks as the 7800..

according to avery it has a 4 year outdoor life when laminated 6 month un laminated.

S&F sign supply carries and extensive Line of Water based materials.

www.sfsupplies.com

Urban Image

I wouldn't trust it to last for four years. Yes, the material may last for 4 years but the image won't. Also, most people who print with aqueous printers (Epson, Encad, Kodak, Canon, HP) use polypropylene instead of vinyl. It is far less expensive and will still get you the 6 months to 1 year. It generally runs for about 16 cents per square foot. Remember that you don't really need to be using scrim banner that is made to last for three years and costs 79 cents per square foot when the image is only going to last for 6 months to a year. Also, one company in Houston only does printing and uses an Epson. He has done well for himself focusing on grocery stores, the shopping mall, and other places where indoor point-of-purchase signs are needed. If you use a good photo/poster media and the outdoor inks your prints may just outlive you indoors. Ask your vendor about Kodak photo medias and Dr. Graphix. Your vendor probably private labels Dr. Graphix but it is good stuff.

Urban Image

That's impressive. I forgot to mention that it does, of course, depend on where you are. I had a customer in Africa once ask me how long the prints would last for him. I obviously didn't give him the same answer that I gave the customer in Connecticut. Now, that said, I would not give the customer in New York the same answer as the customer in Texas, either.

Checkers

From my experience with auqeous ink jet printers, you can expect the prints to last a couple of days to a couple of years, but it would depend on the ink, environmental and UV exposure the print would get.
I've used pigmented inks and UV laminate on prints that showed significant fading in 2 weeks. These prints were outdoors in the Las Vegas sun.
But, Using the same ink, laminate and banner media, a north facing banner, under an awning here in Harrisburg, still looks good after 2+ years.
Another thing that affects durability is whether the print is mounted vertically or at an angle.

Checkers

Blazingsun

That's impressive. I forgot to mention that it does, of course, depend on where you are. I had a customer in Africa once ask me how long the prints would last for him. I obviously didn't give him the same answer that I gave the customer in Connecticut. Now, that said, I would not give the customer in New York the same answer as the customer in Texas, either.

I was Only informing what I use.. and My experience's with that product...

Darklight

Awesome Info, you guys rule, as always. Now what would your recommendations be about a cutting set up if decals are produced the way its suggested above? Is there a contour cutter that will work for this? Thanks for all the help!

Jackpine

Awesome Info, you guys rule, as always. Now what would your recommendations be about a cutting set up if decals are produced the way its suggested above? Is there a contour cutter that will work for this? Thanks for all the help!
The Graphtec CE5000 is one, Roland GX24 is another. I use the Graphtec CE3000Mk2 with my printer. The cut line will be dependent on the requirements in your RIP. Good luck.

Darklight

I saw alot of those over the weekend, assumed popularity was an indicator of what to buy. Started with a endura-cut, but its gotta go bye bye now! Thanks for all the knowledge.

Last edited:

ColesCreations

We use an Epson 10600, un-laminated vinyl is not scratch resistant. I am, however, very impressed that a sticker I put on a car a year ago still looks good, unlaminated, and the stuff we have put outside with laminate seems to last very good. You cannot compare the Ultrachrome ink to the stuff in desktop printers, it is way better, waterproof, and does not fade like the cheapy printers' ink does.
As for contour cutting, we purchased an old used Summa with OPOS, it will cut laminated decals within 0.1 mm. Just fantastic. It takes a little trial and error to learn how to set up the OPOS-marks.

Darklight

Forgive my slowness today, are you saying that you print, dont laminate, and get pretty good outdoor results? Or is that in select situations and generally laminated is the way to go?

Jackpine

Forgive my slowness today, are you saying that you print, dont laminate, and get pretty good outdoor results? Or is that in select situations and generally laminated is the way to go?
They are in Norway. I would think the UV effect is a little bit less than Texas. I don't put any prints on anything that moves (autos) without laminate. Cheap short term stuff like small decals or race cars you can use 3mil clear vinyl like ShineRite or 651 or Avery A 4 or 6. That would be for durability. Good stuff with any type of printer, laminate. There are no shortcuts for good work. Hope this helps.