• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Stylus 9880 - Ink Question

MAMEdInCanada

I am totally new to large format printers. The printer, Epson Stylus 9880, I purchased has UltraChrome® K3 ink in it. It is apparently a Aqueous ink system. I have sent several emails to suppliers in the GTA, looking for printable vinyl and printable backlit vinyl for this system. No luck so far.

I think I need to purchase a new type of ink for the my Epson Stylus 9880 printer. I think I need to get empty cartridges, and get a different type of ink. Any suggestions?

Also, what manufacturer name and vinyl type name I could use for printable vinyl and printable backlit vinyl on this new ink would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DavidT

vinyl printing

You will need a different printer to print to non coated media.

David

I am totally new to large format printers. The printer, Epson Stylus 9880, I purchased has UltraChrome® K3 ink in it. It is apparently a Aqueous ink system. I have sent several emails to suppliers in the GTA, looking for printable vinyl and printable backlit vinyl for this system. No luck so far.

I think I need to purchase a new type of ink for the my Epson Stylus 9880 printer. I think I need to get empty cartridges, and get a different type of ink. Any suggestions?

Also, what manufacturer name and vinyl type name I could use for printable vinyl and printable backlit vinyl on this new ink would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jmcnicoll

There are coated vinyls you can print on. It's more expensive than solvent, and less durable outside, but they are available. As far as backlits go you can print some the the best quality back lit graphics available with that printer and inks.

knucklehead

SIHL, LexJet, Kapco just to mention a few, that carry 'Aqueous coated' vinyl. And, don't forget PhotoTex. Prints beautiful canvases. NO, you can not convert over to solvent inks.

d fleming

Cs sign supply is a merch member and can most likely help with media and ink. They do a fine job for me on my Epson.

MAMEdInCanada

Thanks So Much!!!

I've emailed three local distributors for SIHL, also email Kapco; starting to get responses already.

Thanks again!!! :smile:

Sidney

There is a Printable Vinyl for the Epson 9880

I just saw your post and will repost with supplier for your Epson 9880. I do not believe their is a backlit material for the epson 9880. You will need to use a cold laminate for the vinyl or a hand applied clear coat....be back with info.
I am familiar with the Epson wide format printers because owned a 7880 for many years..... The ink is incredible and you can really get a lot out of the cartridges(always get 220ml...it saves you money).

Sidney

Material Suggestion

Hello,

My suggestion is only use Epson materials and products for yourEpson printer. Trust me the colors change on other, less quality products.

jmcnicoll

I have used Epson aqueos printers for over 10 years. Yes, Epson papers and other media are great, but super expensive. There are many great third party medias available. They don't damage the printer so try them and use what you like. Plus Epson has this backlit,
[h=2]Epson DisplayTrans Backlight Film Plus[/h]

Lexjet.com is very good for getting medias.

Friends don't let friends use aqueous inks for outdoor signage.... should only be used for indoor items and art prints...

Jackpine

Cs sign supply, Kapco, Lexjet, AllSquare are a few for supplies. STS ink are plug and priint....you can get them from Bobby at CS Supplies. Register at Kapco and you will see a better price when you login.