• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Surecolor R5070 resin printer

jfiscus

Rap Master
I am a big fan of the 60600 series, but honestly I would wait until 2nd generation on anyone's technology. The "resin" isn't much different from the "latex", but with it being new tech I would still not trust it for long-term without proof. I still do not see it listed as a 3M MCS approved printer either.

Johnny, there is a Facebook group for the new resin printers which you should check out. Currently there are 160 members in that group that are making post about their experience. Looking at the R5070L spec sheet it says the following:

Voltage: AC 200-240 V
Current: 16 A x 2

John

StickerGuy83

I am a big fan of the 60600 series, but honestly I would wait until 2nd generation on anyone's technology. The "resin" isn't much different from the "latex", but with it being new tech I would still not trust it for long-term without proof. I still do not see it listed as a 3M MCS approved printer either.
One big difference between HP Latex and Epson's Resin printer is probably a big factor -- the printhead and droplet size. Its variable on the Epson, and can go as low as a third of the droplet size. This is what HP needed to do for some time now but they cannot achieve it with thermal printheads.

Christian @ 2CT Media

One big difference between HP Latex and Epson's Resin printer is probably a big factor -- the printhead and droplet size. Its variable on the Epson, and can go as low as a third of the droplet size. This is what HP needed to do for some time now but they cannot achieve it with thermal printheads.
The Epson is also 1/3 the speed of the HP in most cases. It's great for quality but not production. These machines are in different use classes.

StickerGuy83

The Epson is also 1/3 the speed of the HP in most cases. It's great for quality but not production. These machines are in different use classes.
The 800 series HP Latex printers print a roll in less than half the time it takes on my 300 series with the same quality result.
So it boils down to if you want quality over speed. If its things like small stickers/decals, then I would go for quality. If you need
faster production, buy two Epsons.

frankzilla

I have the Epson R5070PE (Not the L bulk ink, other than the ink drawer, everything is the same)

A full 150ft roll at 6pass with high-resolution rasters and vectors comes out about in just under 3 hours.

Quality is 90% as good as Epson S80 in quality at 8-12 passes. 9 Passes and up will bump it up maybe to about 95%. However, at 6 passes, the speeds compared to the S80's 6 passes is comparable, but over time if your head has issues with color uniformity with certain colors such as cyan mixed ones like ours did, then you'll always need a 12-16 pass output, making print time more than double.

Color dot uniformity, even at higher passes with the HP Latex, is just not able to compete with droplet quality. So Epson is still winning for quality.

But with the higher-level models with faster speeds, then you just can't beat speed if that is the only thing that matters for a larger further away graphic that will not be scrutinized up close.

CC-CMYK

I have the Epson R5070PE (Not the L bulk ink, other than the ink drawer, everything is the same)

A full 150ft roll at 6pass with high-resolution rasters and vectors comes out about in just under 3 hours.

Quality is 90% as good as Epson S80 in quality at 8-12 passes. 9 Passes and up will bump it up maybe to about 95%. However, at 6 passes, the speeds compared to the S80's 6 passes is comparable, but over time if your head has issues with color uniformity with certain colors such as cyan mixed ones like ours did, then you'll always need a 12-16 pass output, making print time more than double.

Color dot uniformity, even at higher passes with the HP Latex, is just not able to compete with droplet quality. So Epson is still winning for quality.

But with the higher-level models with faster speeds, then you just can't beat speed if that is the only thing that matters for a larger further away graphic that will not be scrutinized up close.
How are you liking the r5070 so far? Is it still a good machine for you?

frankzilla

Best machine I've had. As long as you have a decent way to control the room temperature with heat waves and freezing weather (trying to not run it from a garage), then there is absolutely no issues with any challenges.

Quality is amazing, using it with ONYX with adjust profiles is amazing on ink savings and workflow.

For reference, I've had a Roland VS?, Mimaki CJVs, and the Epson S80600. Amazing speed, amazing quality (with slight disclaimer details above), and just amazing output.

I would not ask for another machine at this time other than making it even faster or having even more ink channels to be top notch for color gamut.

CC-CMYK

Best machine I've had. As long as you have a decent way to control the room temperature with heat waves and freezing weather (trying to not run it from a garage), then there is absolutely no issues with any challenges.

Quality is amazing, using it with ONYX with adjust profiles is amazing on ink savings and workflow.

For reference, I've had a Roland VS?, Mimaki CJVs, and the Epson S80600. Amazing speed, amazing quality (with slight disclaimer details above), and just amazing output.

I would not ask for another machine at this time other than making it even faster or having even more ink channels to be top notch for color gamut.
What do you primarily print with it?

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!
I just had a sales man telling me the R series has a 3 hour timer that interrupts the print to clean the heads and requires the operator to resume the print if not it cancels the job. Any truth to that?

ikarasu

Curious on the temp changes. What are you experiencing with it?

Mines in my garage - it's winter time now so getting really cold. I keep the room heated with a radiant heater, so it still gets pretty cold.... Haven't had an issue with it yet. Colors still match, no length issues,. Etc... So mainly curious!

ikarasu

I just had a sales man telling me the R series has a 3 hour timer that interrupts the print to clean the heads and requires the operator to resume the print if not it cancels the job. Any truth to that?
I've printed a full roll and it was fine.

It needs cleanings every few hours or it'll apparently start to band ... I've done full rolls that took 4 hours and it was ok. Our rep also told us the only.issue he knows of with the machine is you can't do long prints... You have to send half a roll at a time. I've only done a few full rolls so far and it's ok... But I imagine there is some truth to it, and it'll likely depend on what your printing.

One thing to note - and I could be wrong! But it seems to mainly use the maintenance liquid cartridge to do most of its cleanings.... At $25 a cart. So all the cleanings it does doesn't seem to cost any money. It is annoying hearing my machine boot up every xx hours when in on the couch to do a cleaning though!

CC-CMYK

It needs cleanings every few hours or it'll apparently start to band ... I've done full rolls that took 4 hours and it was ok. Our rep also told us the only.issue he knows of with the machine is you can't do long prints... You have to send half a roll at a time. I've only done a few full rolls so far and it's ok... But I imagine there is some truth to it, and it'll likely depend on what your printing.

One thing to note - and I could be wrong! But it seems to mainly use the maintenance liquid cartridge to do most of its cleanings.... At $25 a cart. So all the cleanings it does doesn't seem to cost any money. It is annoying hearing my machine boot up every xx hours when in on the couch to do a cleaning though!
Have you ever experienced banding on this printer?

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!

To be clear does the printer stop randomly at about the 3 hour mark and ask for a cleaning that you have to manually push buttons to resume the print?

In rush situations I typically now print a roll unattended so that would effect my workflow.

ikarasu

I've had zero banding on the printer.

And no - it's never stopped mid print on me - I was told that currently it doesn't do cleanings while printing... And that's why it "can" band. But that in a future firmware that'd be changed. I've done a few full rolls, and no banding at all.

frankzilla

What do you primarily print with it?
Mainly printing advertising posters and graphics for corporate brand clients. Super high resolution artworks with Brandi g guideline colors to try and match as closely as possible. Also, just everything else usually flat. Have canvas samples as well and they're just as amazing.

No car wraps or contouring wrap graphics if asking that also.

frankzilla

As far as "canceling" the job, no that's incorrect.

Also, the techs do not know for certain either.

The Epson edge print software will not let you run a print job over 3hrs. It will require you to reduce the total print time to 3hrs or less.

ONYX will have a cleaning run and then resume from what I remember. I usually do not need to run high enough passes yet on a full roll to test that yet, because the lower passes output is so amazing.

With that said, I am able to optimize my settings to run a 6pass (equivalent to an 8 pass on the S80600) in just under 3hrs for an entire roll, full print head travel, or even a 5pass job with superb quality and results (essentially as good as the 6-8pass on a brand new S80600), in just 2hrs.

This puts over 90% of mine, and likely most people's jobs, to be done well within the 3hr mark of cleaning.

If there is leftover time on the timer, what happens on ONYX is the printer runs the clean before the job, and then runs the full uninterrupted print job.

frankzilla

Curious on the temp changes. What are you experiencing with it?

Mines in my garage - it's winter time now so getting really cold. I keep the room heated with a radiant heater, so it still gets pretty cold.... Haven't had an issue with it yet. Colors still match, no length issues,. Etc... So mainly curious!
No issues really, when it's too hot, I run multiple fans everywhere to keep things ventilated around the printer, and during winter for now (my garage is insulated), I just let the heater run a little longer for warmup, and the head takes a few minutes longer to warm up to optimal temp.

Output has no issues. All normal.

frankzilla

To be clear does the printer stop randomly at about the 3 hour mark and ask for a cleaning that you have to manually push buttons to resume the print?

In rush situations I typically now print a roll unattended so that would effect my workflow.
If your rush jobs are similar to mine, where you need it printed in the morning on a full roll, cut, trimmed, and packed for FedEx by 4pm, then this is the fastest printer and quality combination you'll ever own. BUT, you will NEED to purchase an ONYX license.

The random rip times on the Epson Edge Print will destroy any buffer time.

Without hiccups, starting at 7am, I can technically run 3 full rolls of posters on 5pass, run them thru an auto trimmer like the Fotoba Digitrim with only X cutting (run thru again for the Y), pack them, and have FedEx get them by 4pm the same day.

Previously, on an S80600, running 8passes, I would have only printed 1 roll in that same 6hrs of printing.