• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Equipment financing options and terms

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
DId you misunderstand my question?
The question is: How does one obtain business credit PRIOR TO OWNING A BUSINESS?
The very same way a person gains experience for an employer who only seeks highly experienced hires.

You start out very slowly and BUILD it. Unlike most of today's quick-fixes, credit surely is not one of them.

Begin by paying cash up front with suppliers until you can prove yourself trustworthy for small line of credit.

Honestly, you'd be better off producing what you can just by running on your own cash, and then build from there....without loans.

Lo, what great a great fire can be started with just a tiny match.

JB

netsol

We do most of our financing through our own bank. If not our own bank we generally use Geneva Capital >> troy [insert_at_symbol_here] gogc.com

We have found that our own bank will generally give us the best rates, but will want 10-20% down. Geneva is a specialized equipment financer, so they will often do 0% down.

TIP: Make sure there is no early repayment penalty. Just ask them to drop it off their contract if there is one.

---

Something else to keep in mind. If you purchase it with a loan, you will be responsible for the property tax. If you lease it, the financial institution will most likely bill you for the property tax, then pay it. The only significant difference between a lease and a loan is the buyout at the end. On the last payment, a loan will end and you will own your equipment. On a lease, after your last payment you might still owe $1, Fair Market Value (FMV), 10%, 20% or something different. This will be specified in your lease terms and should be very clear in the beginning. In other words, don't let the term "Lease" or "Loan" sway your opinion too much. In most cases they are about the same.

---

There are a lot of companies that handle equipment financing + just about every Bank on the planet. Even though it may seem like you are at their mercy, you are not. You are the customer. You can negotiate for better terms. They only get paid if you take a loan/lease from them.
And "fair market value" is never fair...

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
The very same way a person gains experience for an employer who only seeks highly experienced hires.

You start out very slowly and BUILD it. Unlike most of today's quick-fixes, credit surely is not one of them.

Begin by paying cash up front with suppliers until you can prove yourself trustworthy for small line of credit.

Honestly, you'd be better off producing what you can just by running on your own cash, and then build from there....without loans.

Lo, what great a great fire can be started with just a tiny match.

JB

THIS was the original question I was responding to:

AntCarter said:
Just formed my LLC, and I have great personal credit.. but I would like to start building business credit to keep the business separate from the personal side.
Out of curiosity how many of you guys started your business with personal (Fico) Vs Business credit (Paydex)

He asked who started the business with personal credit vs business credit...YOU HAVE TO START WITH PERSONAL CREDIT FIRST...or what your response was...