• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help EstiMate - won't renew

Dave1101

Has anyone been able to renew with EstiMate Software. They will not respond to emails or calls. I have no way to renew my license. Manage my plan button does not work. Anyone have luck renewing, if not, what do you use now? Thanks in advance.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
This has been a common question here. I would do a search for the other threads for some of the other responses but in short, it seems as though they are shutting things down. I get a license file sent to me each month which I have to manually download to my desktop and the software "picks it up". I'm still billed each month but this will probably end at some point.

Best long term solution would be to look at other options, which you'll find responses about in other threads. There are many out there depending on your needs. "firesprint" and "colorcrest" have been very helpful thus far. Good luck!

Sign Pro Salina

This has been a common question here. I would do a search for the other threads for some of the other responses but in short, it seems as though they are shutting things down. I get a license file sent to me each month which I have to manually download to my desktop and the software "picks it up". I'm still billed each month but this will probably end at some point.

Best long term solution would be to look at other options, which you'll find responses about in other threads. There are many out there depending on your needs. "firesprint" and "colorcrest" have been very helpful thus far. Good luck!
We have to load the new license each month as well. It's a bit annoying since that was never the case until the last year or so. They are usually very responsive to any issues we've encountered since we've used them the last 10 years. Can I ask, why you think it seems as they are shutting things down? I can say that they don't ever seem to update the software as we were promised was happening when we started with them 10 yrs ago.

d fleming

Been using it for years but once it went monthly we never updated and have been using whatever version was before it went to subscription. If I weren't nearing time to go fishing and stay there for me I might consider something else but honestly we were doing well before we ever used software for pricing and wouldn't be an issue to go back to it. I know what my work is worth and my wife has been running the front office for 234 years now and can do it blindfolded. Running our distillery is a totally different bag of wet pissed off cats, lol.

Dave1101

We have to load the new license each month as well. It's a bit annoying since that was never the case until the last year or so. They are usually very responsive to any issues we've encountered since we've used them the last 10 years. Can I ask, why you think it seems as they are shutting things down? I can say that they don't ever seem to update the software as we were promised was happening when we started with them 10 yrs ago.
They stopped replying to emails and the license webpage will not load.

rydods

I guess it's just my assumption that they may be shutting down. Like you mentioned, they haven't updated anything in years and this manually loading the new license issue seems to me Estimate will not exist at some point in the near future. Or maybe they are just short staffed and what they are currently doing is working just fine for them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
They stopped doing business. Check out the other threads and it will be suggested you find new software or build your own. I like SignTracker as a former user of Estimate.

rydods

I've been building my own using SmartSuite and I'm happy so far. I've looked into FileMaker as well and it seems a little more complicated and pricey.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have always been in favor of this. Or at least something that one won't have to worry about the licensing changing/not working at some point if don't want to build something in house.
I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking. I like SignTracker but updating the data is exhaustive.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Many years ago I took a look at Estimate and, then and there, I figured that I could blow better software out of my nether regions and made my own. A simple Excel sheet or two and maybe a half hour's effort. It's been working just fine for lo these many years, through seemingly endless Excel versions without let. The one thing mine does that seems to elude others is operate on a sliding scale based on size. In other words, the price per square foot is a whole heII of a lot higher for a single square foot that for a lot of square feet. A really simple calculation.

WildWestDesigns

I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking. I like SignTracker but updating the data is exhaustive.
Part of this is I cannot stand subscription pricing for something along these lines. Want to offer a la carte some type of storage, sure, I can understand it at that point, but not for the core program itself. For something like EstiMate, "bob" has it. An excel (I'm using this in general terms, I would suggest a different type of excel-like program) project would get the job done and there are some rudimentary means of doing a GUI to make it more appealing compared to just boring cels that one enters things into (I would probably save it as a template, that way it would always open as "Untitled", so chances of accidentally overwriting the core program are very very small).

Use what is quicker to get something up and running and at that point, worry about changing things to improve speed, storage efficiency etc if need be. But have something up and running that does what "you" need it to do as quickly as one can.

I consider something like this, investing back into the business. Not all programs can be can be done in house like this 1:1 (but if one doesn't use all the functionality of a given program, it may be possible to do it in house, a lot of things that software companies have to worry about, an in house program doesn't have that same worry), but I would suggest doing it where one can. Especially considering everything seems to be going the way of SaaS. Shoot, the older that I get, I'm going back to luddite status (and I enjoy tech) and breaking out my old "analog" tools.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
For something like EstiMate, "bob" has it. An excel (I'm using this in general terms, I would suggest a different type of excel-like program) project would get the job done and there are some rudimentary means of doing a GUI to make it more appealing
You understand that EstiMate is a rather complete quoting application for signs of many types as opposed to "bob's" single calculator “using a really simple calculation” for pricing orders of square feet quantities using a sliding scale, right? I believe EstiMate does the same but also includes a multitude of other tools above and beyond “simple” including actual record management along with backup.

EstiMate gets much more of the job done more efficiently than a spreadsheet so long as its users can actually run the application. That fact is what seems to be in jeopardy at this time.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Many years ago I took a look at Estimate and, then and there, I figured that I could blow better software out of my nether regions and made my own. A simple Excel sheet or two and maybe a half hour's effort. It's been working just fine for lo these many years, through seemingly endless Excel versions without let.
If you would have taken a look at FileMaker 20 years ago this month, you would have found its "let" function available. Maybe you're aware that MicroSoft has only recently included it within certain versions of Excel as of late.

WildWestDesigns

You understand that EstiMate is a rather complete quoting application for signs of many types as opposed to "bob's" single calculator “using a really simple calculation” for pricing orders of square feet quantities using a sliding scale, right? I believe EstiMate does the same but also includes a multitude of other tools above and beyond “simple” including actual record management along with backup.
With the addition of Python into excel itself (if I recall correctly), that opens up even more possibilities. LibreOffice's version of "excel", if I also remember correctly enables Python usage. That would be the quickest way to enable additional functionality. There are other ways to enable CRM type of functionality if needed, personally, I would look beyond excel and go with C++/Rust libraries/crates at that point if needing sophisticated CRM functionality. There are ways to even get it done in a browser based solution if wanting the next low barrier of entry method.

EstiMate gets much more of the job done more efficiently than a spreadsheet so long as its users can actually run the application. That fact is what seems to be in jeopardy at this time.
Which if it is going under (and this is a real concern with any software or 3rd party blobs within software that people have to worry about), it is rather moot what abilities that it has, because it may not be functional and it seems rather soon at that. Some are more of a risk compared to others. But even more well established programs can eventually get to be risky, nothing lasts forever. And even if one doesn't want to write their own (or pay someone to do it(which either situation is fine)), there is still a chance that the next alternative isn't exactly 1:1 as well. Always going to be a sacrifice somewhere.

The biggest thing here, is that if one does write their own in house tooling, the stability/longevity are dependent on "you" and as such, the only person that "you" have to worry about is "you". Don't have to worry about someone else pulling the program/extension/service at a moment's notice. Now, it's quite a bit of work and the more sophisticated the tool, the more work that it is, but I would rather it be my responsibility for a tool that I require to make a living compared to someone else (as long as it's within my power to even tackle the job to begin with, which given what is available today, it's not as hard as it once was, certainly not when I got in the game back in the early-mid 90s).

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I like SignTracker but updating the data is exhaustive.
Most any web service will be a chore because you don't have control of certain key fields of the database which is on the back end.

Of course I'm going say having your own database, you would be able to treat any and all records as either new, or modified, or ostensibly deleted, or truly deleted. It mainly involved just a single field used to identify individual records. Other than the field, how one is able to view sets of records is another factor; either a form, or list, or table views are options one would make use of especially when adding, modifying, or deleting in bulk.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I've been building my own using SmartSuite and I'm happy so far. I've looked into FileMaker as well and it seems a little more complicated and pricey.
I happen to have a special affinity for SmartSuite and not only because they are within walking distance for me. However, I'm rather sure you will need, before too long, their enterprise level offering because of the record count a sign shop like yours will require. You will also need an add-on such as Make for its capability. FileMaker is enterprise level out of the box with any type of "view" you care to build or have built for you. I don't recall if I've mentioned before, but there is a reason none of the work-a-day platforms do not already have a template of the solution which most sign shops are looking for.

I'm happy to answer questions.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
With the addition of Python into excel itself
Care to classify Python so far as low code, or ?
Which if it is going under (and this is a real concern with any software or 3rd party blobs within software that people have to worry about), it is rather moot what abilities that it has, because it may not be functional and it seems rather soon at that.
I understand pre-SaaS version still runs for some users. So long as they have compatibility with hardware and operating system, they are good to go, it seems. Yes, it's very questionable what the futures holds for others.
The biggest thing here, is that if one does write their own in house tooling, the stability/longevity are dependent on "you" and as such, the only person that "you" have to worry about is "you". Don't have to worry about someone else pulling the program/extension/service at a moment's notice. Now, it's quite a bit of work and the more sophisticated the tool, the more work that it is, but I would rather it be my responsibility for a tool that I require to make a living compared to someone else (as long as it's within my power to even tackle the job to begin with, which given what is available today, it's not as hard as it once was, certainly not when I got in the game back in the early-mid 90s).
The way this concern has worked in the FileMaker community for the last 30+ years is a single developer is not necessarily alone unless they choose to be. Even though some entities might keep their solutions closely guarded and to themselves, there is practically always more than a single person with privileged knowledge and control. In the event of, say a single developer of a vertical market app retires (or otherwise worse), the dev has made previous arrangements for others to carry on. In the vast majority of FM apps, devs works in some sort of tandem or more, whether it's dev and client or otherwise. There are also casual dev standards and best practices in play as well that are very easy for novices to be aware of put to use when the eventual time comes to share development.

Individual perpetual licensing or team subscription served on-prem privately or served via third party cloud are available choices. An Apple company which seems to stable so far. ;)

WildWestDesigns

Care to classify Python so far as low code, or ?
I would consider it entry level language. In the instance of Excel, as Python is being used in a scripting endeavor (it's typically just a general purpose language, although it does share similarities with other true scripting languages, it's first goal is a general purpose language (I have used compiled languages as scripting languages as well, some of the newer ones (like Nim) embrace it as a first class citizen and have built in to the language itself)), I would consider it low code, or rather as low code as I personally would like to go. I do not like what people consider true low/no code to be. That's nothing but constrained training wheels (which I actually consider Rust that way with the borrow checker (the training wheels sentiment, not low code, although it is higher compared to C++ because of said abstractions that it does have (and C++ has them over C as well)), but I digress).

At some point, even no/low code solutions, at least those that are of any value, will allow extended it's capabilities by the user with a scripting language, if not even with plugins written in compiled languages (I actually prefer compiled over scripting (didn't Corel have the ability in older versions for users to write plugins in CPP as well?), but even despite that, I still value getting to MVP as quickly as one can, especially for in house tooling, but even that has limits with regard to low/no code solutions).

I understand pre-SaaS version still runs for some users. So long as they have compatibility with hardware and operating system, they are good to go, it seems. Yes, it's very questionable what the futures holds for others.
That's the thing right there. At some point, will have to maintain older equipment and hope everything works out with regard to that upkeep or have the ability to run the compatible OS in a VM (I personally prefer the VM option over maintaining older hardware, but to each their own). Even if one does that, still won't be able to update it as needs changes, especially if the program in later versions had actually added those features in. If it's in house tooling, I can still add/update it if able/willing.

The way this concern has worked in the FileMaker community for the last 30+ years is a single developer is not necessarily alone unless they choose to be. Even though some entities might keep their solutions closely guarded and to themselves, there is practically always more than a single person with privileged knowledge and control. In the event of, say a single developer of a vertical market app retires (or otherwise worse), the dev has made previous arrangements for others to carry on. In the vast majority of FM apps, devs works in some sort of tandem or more, whether it's dev and client or otherwise. There are also casual dev standards and best practices in play as well that are very easy for novices to be aware of put to use when the eventual time comes to share development.

Same concern is handled within the open source community as well. I prefer the open source model (other than a couple of closed source programs, everything else that I use is open source from OS to production programs. My individual in house programs (written in various languages, a couple even in python, most are compiled though, I prefer low level languages, but I also sacrifice in what gets it done quicker to have a MVP and change from there if need be) are all using open source technologies (although I do stay away from the copyleft licenses (GPLv3 etc) when I'm writing my own stuff). That's just a preference of mine though.

Individual perpetual licensing or team subscription served on-prem privately or served via third party cloud are available choices. An Apple company which seems to stable so far.

Given the parent companies evaluation, I have no doubt. But like I said, I prefer more open source. Even if they (open source project) goes under, I still have access to source and can limp it along if need be. Enough for my own usage.