• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Every October...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Well, it's been almost four years since my mom's passing and just over seven for my dad's. Typically, one day every October was set aside to visit them and go through their affairs (financial, medical, funeral, insurance, veterans benefits, etc.) in fine detail so that I could maintain a portfolio of vital information. Mom was always good about it, but dad couldn't have cared less (didn't think it was necessary) although he was amiable enough to allow me access to every detail.

I can't begin to tell you how much easier that made my life. In any emergency (and in the end there were numerous emergencies), I could be out the door in 30 seconds and equipped to handle every situation with contact telephone numbers, account / policy numbers and so on.

Mom had a heart of pure gold, but she liked to "pigeon hole" most everything, including important papers. I would have literally faced mountainous piles had I needed to search for anything on my own.

The only thing we overlooked was the need for power of attorney, but fortunately we were able to secure that just in time before mom became incapacitated.

I know I've mentioned this topic in the past and it's usually been met with favorable response, as well as "my parents would never do that".

For what it's worth, those of you with aging parents owe it to them, and to yourselves, if they will permit you to do so. And in this mid-Covid world we live in, it's even more important.

JB

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

The only thing we overlooked was the need for power of attorney, but fortunately we were able to secure that just in time before mom became incapacitated.

This is very important. We were lucky with my maternal grandmother to get it just in time. Had we not, her last years could have been very different.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Well, it's been almost four years since my mom's passing and just over seven for my dad's. Typically, one day every October was set aside to visit them and go through their affairs (financial, medical, funeral, insurance, veterans benefits, etc.) in fine detail so that I could maintain a portfolio of vital information. Mom was always good about it, but dad couldn't have cared less (didn't think it was necessary) although he was amiable enough to allow me access to every detail.

I can't begin to tell you how much easier that made my life. In any emergency (and in the end there were numerous emergencies), I could be out the door in 30 seconds and equipped to handle every situation with contact telephone numbers, account / policy numbers and so on.

Mom had a heart of pure gold, but she liked to "pigeon hole" most everything, including important papers. I would have literally faced mountainous piles had I needed to search for anything on my own.

I know I've mentioned this topic in the past and it's usually been met with favorable response, as well as "my parents would never do that".

For what it's worth, those of you with aging parents owe it to them, and to yourselves, if they will permit you to do so. And in this mid-Covid world we live in, it's even more important.

JB
James Burke Thank you for this important reminder. One of my daughters is a nurse. Several years ago, while she worked in intensive care, sometimes she would observe a patient who had been on life support and she would see how families would fight over what to do, pull the plug or not. Well, she really pushed me to prepare my final papers. I asked her to put together some ideas and then I took those ideas to a wonderful lawyer to put in her ideas in legalize.
Jump forward a few years, when I went in for surgery a couple of months ago, the hospital was thrilled that I had such papers and was able to give them a copy.
Thanks again for posting this.
Robert Armerding

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
James Burke Thank you for this important reminder. One of my daughters is a nurse. Several years ago, while she worked in intensive care, sometimes she would observe a patient who had been on life support and she would see how families would fight over what to do, pull the plug or not. Well, she really pushed me to prepare my final papers. I asked her to put together some ideas and then I took those ideas to a wonderful lawyer to put in her ideas in legalize.
Jump forward a few years, when I went in for surgery a couple of months ago, the hospital was thrilled that I had such papers and was able to give them a copy.
Thanks again for posting this.
Robert Armerding

Yes, a medical directive is extremely important. As a matter of fact, that's what got the ball rolling for us to delve into deeper matters concerning their entire estate. In times of duress, the mind does not think clearly. I'm thankful that all I had to do was "follow the plan" that we had created well in advance.

JB

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Yes, a medical directive is extremely important. As a matter of fact, that's what got the ball rolling for us to delve into deeper matters concerning their entire estate. In times of duress, the mind does not think clearly. I'm thankful that all I had to do was "follow the plan" that we had created well in advance.

JB
James Burke Let me also pick up on your, "contact telephone numbers, account / policy numbers...." My power of attorney has access to my Google Doc that has all of that information. I am able to keep it current and he always has access to it. Thanks again for this timely reminder. It can prevent a lot of stress. As you put it, "In times of duress, the mind does not think clearly."