• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Everything I've learned about perf cut/die cut stickers

Bryce I

I'm Brie
This post is specifically focused around using the Roland VG-2 Printer/Cutter for laminated, die-cut stickers.
I've been on the perf cut journey these past months. Learning a lot, but wouldn't say I've got it 100% dialed. I have more questions now than when I started, but have completed some successful runs of stickers. First, my current questions, and below that, everything I've learned that may be helpful to those struggling with perf cuts.

question 1: Can anyone recommend a print media with a backing that supports perf cut stickers? We currently use orafol 3164 (4mil) , laminated with orafol 210 (2.5 mil). The main issue is the fragile, paper-like backing will tear when breaking down the stickers. I feel like a media with stiffer or thicker backing could help?

question 2: What kind of adjustments do you make in versaworks to the Perforated Cut Controls? I adjust perforation force, but haven't touched the other three: Perforation Length (0.787), Half-cut length (0.039), & Half-cut force (1). Are those settings I should be making slight adjustments to when doing test cuts?

question 3: Is it crazy to take on large volume sticker jobs without a separate plotter machine just for cutting? We have two Roland Printer/Cutters, and with those, have always been able to meet the demands of high volume print jobs and print&cut jobs. Even large orders of non perf cut stickers; printed in rows with crop marks, laminated, cut, then weeded and broken down by hand. Efficient isn't the right word, because you're literally chopping each sticker by hand with a paper chopper, but we can knock them out in a very profitable way. The toughest part of that was the human labor chopping each sticker, and the less pleasing square backing look. Since we've been taking on die-cut sticker jobs, we've been falling further and further behind. Twice as long cutting on the printer. Pretty sure we're spending just as much time popping them out, trying not to tear the backing, and removing the outer ring, as we were chopping down non perf cut stickers . We print many extra rows to account for how many inevitably tear. The final product does look way cooler, but questioning if it's worth it. Long question less long: is mastering perf cut stickers attainable using Roland Printer/Cutters, with a combination of the right media and settings?

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
It's true what they say: Stock up on blades and cut strips. You'll want to have a pile of both before attempting perf cut stickers. Can't wreck your blade and have it be the only one in the shop. On a tough but not uncommon day, I have gone through multiple blades trying to dial the settings. I've gotten into the habit of ordering a 5-pack of the 45 degree blades every time I order ink.

When we have a sticker job that requires perf cuts, before printing the actual job, I will print a few single rows of the sticker, each row with it's own set of crop marks. Those are to do test cuts on, making minor adjustments between, hopefully nailing down the settings before you get to the actual rows. It's actually good to print a bunch of these single rows, maybe with a variety of die-cut stickers, and have some on hand for when you break a blade mid job, and need to do some test cuts with the replacement blade before resuming the job.

First test: set the perf cut force to 100 more than regular cutting force. Cut a row, see how they weed. If regular (inside) cutting force is good, but perf cut isn't cutting deep enough, remove the blade holder from the printer, and give it a tiny clockwise twist, bringing the blade out a tiny bit. Perform another test cut row with the same settings. If the regular cut is still good, and the perf cut force still isn't enough, open cutting settings, and bump up the perf cut pressure by 25-50. Try cutting another row. If the perf cuts are still not enough, go back and forth between these two adjustments, the one in versa and the other by hand, with a row of test cuts between each, until the sweet spot reveals itself.

A Roland tech showed me his trick for getting successful perf cuts without poking through and ruining the blade. Put a new blade in the blade holder cylinder and turn counter clockwise until it's not really poking out. put a piece of cardboard on the table with a piece of laminated media (equally thick as what you'll be cutting) on top. drag the blade over the media. The blade shouldn't be sticking out far enough to cut anything. Give the cylinder a micro twist clockwise to bring the blade out a bit. Drag it across the media again. Repeat this process until the blade cuts through the media, but barley scratches the cardboard underneath. The idea is, if the knife is only just poking out enough to hardly scratch the cardboard, even when you push hard while dragging, you can get away with cranking the pressure up on your perf-cut force and it won't be able to push too far and break the blade, or damage the strip. It feels a little bit chincy? I feel like I'm risking breaking the blade just doing the test itself, but it's been helpful.

Specifically for circle shape stickers, instead of doing perf cuts, I apply a single regular cut path, and select two cut passes instead of one. Same pressure as I would use for a normal contour cut. They have been popping out with the ease I imagined perf cuts would when I got into this. Miraculously not shredding the blade and strip (much). Super clean die-cut sticker, minus the extra flap of backing you get with the perfcut, but looks good and still easy to peel. Also works for rectangular stickers.

Even when you nail the pressure, and get satisfactory test perf cuts at the top of a job, remember to babysit the job while it's cutting. Try popping out a recently cut sticker every few rows, and if it gives more resistance than it should, cancel the job between crop marks, and do more tests/adjustments (this is why it's good to have printed, laminated single rows of stickers with crop marks on hand). It's a hassle to lose momentum during a big cut day, but a bunch of stop and go with the machine is better than ripping through, and later being stuck trying to weed a bunch of stickers that didn't cut right because the blade chipped a third of the way into the job.

Discussion & Advice welcome!

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Roland sucks at it. Summa S3T140 is the way to go but it's still slower than cutting by hand IMO. You're wasting time with a paper cutter.

MrDav3C

I found this really informative, especially the part about increasing the blade depth manually. Perf cuts are something that I've been occasionally trying to perfect lately with limited success.

A lot of the stickers we mass produce are rectangular and I'm starting to believe its quicker and less problematic to cut these by hand as we are now pretty efficient at this.

What we usually do when separating the stickers is to trim the the outside edges, trim the horizontal rows but stop slightly before the end of the backing so the stickers stay together and this then allows trim all the vertical colums in one go. We always use a scalpel and a straight edge rather than a paper cutter or guillotine, as again this seems to speed up the process for us.

Not totally sold on the idea of the crop marks for each row due to the increased media usage and time it will take scanning more crop marks than are usually necessary but totally get how this helps and gives flexibility to adjust the pressure mid job. I suppose I could export several rows of the job as one print file to reduce this.

How often are you having to replace the cutting strip and is this relatively quick & easy to do? Only had my SG3 since October and downtime is never fun!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
My quick 2 cent's... Tried perf cut, finally after a couple of yea
Having technical issues posting... Not sure what happened so I'll keep this short.
Spent some time trying to dial it in, finally mostly got it to work, but at the end of the day... It was still easier and faster to cut down by hand. Just kiss cut, trim down and down. The perf cut still required some manual clean up, and took way longer to cut.

amw

Longtime Members
This post is specifically focused around using the Roland VG-2 Printer/Cutter for laminated, die-cut stickers.
I've been on the perf cut journey these past months. Learning a lot, but wouldn't say I've got it 100% dialed. I have more questions now than when I started, but have completed some successful runs of stickers. First, my current questions, and below that, everything I've learned that may be helpful to those struggling with perf cuts.

question 1: Can anyone recommend a print media with a backing that supports perf cut stickers? We currently use orafol 3164 (4mil) , laminated with orafol 210 (2.5 mil). The main issue is the fragile, paper-like backing will tear when breaking down the stickers. I feel like a media with stiffer or thicker backing could help?

question 2: What kind of adjustments do you make in versaworks to the Perforated Cut Controls? I adjust perforation force, but haven't touched the other three: Perforation Length (0.787), Half-cut length (0.039), & Half-cut force (1). Are those settings I should be making slight adjustments to when doing test cuts?

question 3: Is it crazy to take on large volume sticker jobs without a separate plotter machine just for cutting? We have two Roland Printer/Cutters, and with those, have always been able to meet the demands of high volume print jobs and print&cut jobs. Even large orders of non perf cut stickers; printed in rows with crop marks, laminated, cut, then weeded and broken down by hand. Efficient isn't the right word, because you're literally chopping each sticker by hand with a paper chopper, but we can knock them out in a very profitable way. The toughest part of that was the human labor chopping each sticker, and the less pleasing square backing look. Since we've been taking on die-cut sticker jobs, we've been falling further and further behind. Twice as long cutting on the printer. Pretty sure we're spending just as much time popping them out, trying not to tear the backing, and removing the outer ring, as we were chopping down non perf cut stickers . We print many extra rows to account for how many inevitably tear. The final product does look way cooler, but questioning if it's worth it. Long question less long: is mastering perf cut stickers attainable using Roland Printer/Cutters, with a combination of the right media and settings?

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
It's true what they say: Stock up on blades and cut strips. You'll want to have a pile of both before attempting perf cut stickers. Can't wreck your blade and have it be the only one in the shop. On a tough but not uncommon day, I have gone through multiple blades trying to dial the settings. I've gotten into the habit of ordering a 5-pack of the 45 degree blades every time I order ink.

When we have a sticker job that requires perf cuts, before printing the actual job, I will print a few single rows of the sticker, each row with it's own set of crop marks. Those are to do test cuts on, making minor adjustments between, hopefully nailing down the settings before you get to the actual rows. It's actually good to print a bunch of these single rows, maybe with a variety of die-cut stickers, and have some on hand for when you break a blade mid job, and need to do some test cuts with the replacement blade before resuming the job.

First test: set the perf cut force to 100 more than regular cutting force. Cut a row, see how they weed. If regular (inside) cutting force is good, but perf cut isn't cutting deep enough, remove the blade holder from the printer, and give it a tiny clockwise twist, bringing the blade out a tiny bit. Perform another test cut row with the same settings. If the regular cut is still good, and the perf cut force still isn't enough, open cutting settings, and bump up the perf cut pressure by 25-50. Try cutting another row. If the perf cuts are still not enough, go back and forth between these two adjustments, the one in versa and the other by hand, with a row of test cuts between each, until the sweet spot reveals itself.

A Roland tech showed me his trick for getting successful perf cuts without poking through and ruining the blade. Put a new blade in the blade holder cylinder and turn counter clockwise until it's not really poking out. put a piece of cardboard on the table with a piece of laminated media (equally thick as what you'll be cutting) on top. drag the blade over the media. The blade shouldn't be sticking out far enough to cut anything. Give the cylinder a micro twist clockwise to bring the blade out a bit. Drag it across the media again. Repeat this process until the blade cuts through the media, but barley scratches the cardboard underneath. The idea is, if the knife is only just poking out enough to hardly scratch the cardboard, even when you push hard while dragging, you can get away with cranking the pressure up on your perf-cut force and it won't be able to push too far and break the blade, or damage the strip. It feels a little bit chincy? I feel like I'm risking breaking the blade just doing the test itself, but it's been helpful.

Specifically for circle shape stickers, instead of doing perf cuts, I apply a single regular cut path, and select two cut passes instead of one. Same pressure as I would use for a normal contour cut. They have been popping out with the ease I imagined perf cuts would when I got into this. Miraculously not shredding the blade and strip (much). Super clean die-cut sticker, minus the extra flap of backing you get with the perfcut, but looks good and still easy to peel. Also works for rectangular stickers.

Even when you nail the pressure, and get satisfactory test perf cuts at the top of a job, remember to babysit the job while it's cutting. Try popping out a recently cut sticker every few rows, and if it gives more resistance than it should, cancel the job between crop marks, and do more tests/adjustments (this is why it's good to have printed, laminated single rows of stickers with crop marks on hand). It's a hassle to lose momentum during a big cut day, but a bunch of stop and go with the machine is better than ripping through, and later being stuck trying to weed a bunch of stickers that didn't cut right because the blade chipped a third of the way into the job.

Discussion & Advice welcome!
We use a graphtec FC plotter, it's much easier to do them on there and no issues with the cutting strip since it cuts over the open channel.
Since that doesn't really help you much ...

Here is a tip: Get blades from CleanCut Blades they are typically cheaper and sharper than OEM (If your not already using them).

MrDav3C

So I had a chat with the company who we purchase our smart knives from Today.

What they suggested as the best way to do a perforated cut was to apply application paper to the reverse of the graphic to act as a secondary liner and then do a normal cut with increased force rather than a perforated cut that cuts deep enough so it's through the graphic and the release liner but doesn't cut through the app tape.

They also recommended applying some tape or vinyl over the cutting strip to help prevent damage.

I'm not personally going to try this as I feel it's still too many steps and too time consuming but I thought I would share it for people's comments etc!

Bryce I

I'm Brie
I found this really informative, especially the part about increasing the blade depth manually. Perf cuts are something that I've been occasionally trying to perfect lately with limited success.

A lot of the stickers we mass produce are rectangular and I'm starting to believe its quicker and less problematic to cut these by hand as we are now pretty efficient at this.

What we usually do when separating the stickers is to trim the the outside edges, trim the horizontal rows but stop slightly before the end of the backing so the stickers stay together and this then allows trim all the vertical colums in one go. We always use a scalpel and a straight edge rather than a paper cutter or guillotine, as again this seems to speed up the process for us.

Not totally sold on the idea of the crop marks for each row due to the increased media usage and time it will take scanning more crop marks than are usually necessary but totally get how this helps and gives flexibility to adjust the pressure mid job. I suppose I could export several rows of the job as one print file to reduce this.

How often are you having to replace the cutting strip and is this relatively quick & easy to do? Only had my SG3 since October and downtime is never fun!

Great tip for breaking down the rows. I will try that, thank you! I've been printing the single rows with crop marks just for all these tests. When I do adjustments between those, and get it dialed, I take them off and put on the job, printed with regular size space between the crop marks. Certainly going through media though!

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Great tip for breaking down the rows. I will try that, thank you! I've been printing the single rows with crop marks just for all these tests. When I do adjustments between those, and get it dialed, I take them off and put on the job, printed with regular size space between the crop marks. Certainly going through media though!
I'm also curious about how often to replace the cut strip. How hammered is too hammered? Often after a run of perf cut stickers, there will be a small cut across the strip under the cutting area. I don't usually change it until I notice a blade tip snapped off, then I replace both, or maybe one strip for every 2-3 blades? Looking forward to getting this more dialed.

Notarealsignguy

Having technical issues posting... Not sure what happened so I'll keep this short.
Spent some time trying to dial it in, finally mostly got it to work, but at the end of the day... It was still easier and faster to cut down by hand. Just kiss cut, trim down and down. The perf cut still required some manual clean up, and took way longer to cut.
You get it dialed in on 1 then 20' into the roll you have to fiddle with it again. Some may do it but its not ideal IMO. Maybe a flatbed cutter but the roll machines I dunno

Saturn

Aging Member
I'd suggest GF-203/201 or Substance print media for "perf" cut stickers.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing on the strips. I usually go more by the quality of the cut, than how it looks—and, like you said, replace before a new blade.

I'm not exactly sure how the Graphtec or Roland perf cut, but I always suggest doing like your circles and just doing a couple "regular" cuts instead of a "Flex Cut" (as Summa calls it). Astronomically cleaner and faster cuts. No need to do "perf" or "flex" on basic adhesive vinyl. You know you're too deep if they fall out of the sheet, so you're aiming for pressure and depth that is just before this happens. At least that's how I do it, to the tune of gadjillions of stickers a week.

If this is an increasing part of the business, I'd definitely recommend a standalone Graphtec or Summa.

Summa side tidbit—I usually run all stickers with 'Sorting Vectors' "Off", but for squares and rectangles I flip it to "Directional" now, and get much better results. A little slower, but worth it.

untitled

I usually leave an empty edge around my stickers that are cut out. So if you kiss cut then weed and then perf cut so that the perf cut is only cutting the backing it seems to work really well. For some reason I never get good results perf cutting through the vinyl and backing, but I have gotten an almost perfect setting saved for just the backing. I also change from a good sharp 45° blade for the regular cutting and then use a 60° for the perf cut. That perf cut blade has been in there for a quite a long time and just keeps going. However I don't remember if you can separate the functions in Versaworks. When I had my Roland I gave up trying to perf cut with it. I have a summa now and works great.

Notarealsignguy

I usually leave an empty edge around my stickers that are cut out. So if you kiss cut then weed and then perf cut so that the perf cut is only cutting the backing it seems to work really well. For some reason I never get good results perf cutting through the vinyl and backing, but I have gotten an almost perfect setting saved for just the backing. I also change from a good sharp 45° blade for the regular cutting and then use a 60° for the perf cut. That perf cut blade has been in there for a quite a long time and just keeps going. However I don't remember if you can separate the functions in Versaworks. When I had my Roland I gave up trying to perf cut with it. I have a summa now and works great.
You can contour cut first and perf cut second in VW on the same line or outside. It seems to work better that way but still sucks.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Interesting! The empty edge around the stickers is where the perf cut will go? And then the kiss cut is to avoid disturbing the crop marks, then weed the stickers, switch the blade, and run it again with only a perf cut? I'm going to try that, thanks! I wonder if doing just the perf cut on that second run is a setting I can add in Versaworks, or has to be built into the file?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
So I had a chat with the company who we purchase our smart knives from Today.

What they suggested as the best way to do a perforated cut was to apply application paper to the reverse of the graphic to act as a secondary liner and then do a normal cut with increased force rather than a perforated cut that cuts deep enough so it's through the graphic and the release liner but doesn't cut through the app tape.
If your supplier of smart knives is Harry, I hope you were sitting down, and had a fresh pot of coffee to hand.

It would be quick enough to apply the app tape on the laminator, but could be a pig to remove the individual stickers from it. Could use low tack app tape, and then run the premask 180º over a small radius bar - might make the stickers drop off... The grip of the app tape would need to be less than the adhesion of the sticker to its backing paper..

MrDav3C

If your supplier of smart knives is Harry, I hope you were sitting down, and had a fresh pot of coffee to hand.

It would be quick enough to apply the app tape on the laminator, but could be a pig to remove the individual stickers from it. Could use low tack app tape, and then run the premask 180º over a small radius bar - might make the stickers drop off... The grip of the app tape would need to be less than the adhesion of the sticker to its backing paper..
Yes it's Harry and yes it was a 40 minute phone call! He's a nice guy and the smart knives are pretty good, he just talks a lot but generally does offer some useful advice!

MrDav3C

I wonder if your success only when the vinyl is weeded is due to the blade not being far enough out of the holder?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
We use a graphtec FC plotter, it's much easier to do them on there and no issues with the cutting strip since it cuts over the open channel.
Since that doesn't really help you much ...

Here is a tip: Get blades from CleanCut Blades they are typically cheaper and sharper than OEM (If your not already using them).
Here is the information from YouTube for the settings I use for perf cuts on my Graphtec FC 9000 cutter. 90% of all the decals I make are perf cut. It doesn't wear out the blades or cut strip any more than normal.

untitled

Interesting! The empty edge around the stickers is where the perf cut will go? And then the kiss cut is to avoid disturbing the crop marks, then weed the stickers, switch the blade, and run it again with only a perf cut? I'm going to try that, thanks! I wonder if doing just the perf cut on that second run is a setting I can add in Versaworks, or has to be built into the file?
Yes the empty edge is where the perf cut goes. It also makes it easier to remove the sticker from the backing if the vinyl isn't all the way to the edge. My main reason for switching the blade is that it preserves a nice sharp blade for cutting the vinyl, whereas cutting the backing dulls the blade faster. But yes you have you have to keep your crop marks on the page to run the perfcut. Mine is built into the file, usually my perfcut will be about 0.0625" or 0.125" larger than the kiss cut. I also usually just try to keep it to square/rectangle shape to make it easier to separate afterwards.
I wonder if your success only when the vinyl is weeded is due to the blade not being far enough out of the holder?
I have tried bringing the blade in and out. So I find by weeding before perfcutting it makes it easier to separate the stickers afterwards, but also I would rather weed the sheet instead of the individual decals.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I have three Roland's and three Graftec plotters.
The Roland's run 10 to 15 hours daily and the plotters run about six hours. What I print today I cut tomorrow.
Plotters are set up with 60 degree OEM blades and only cut in the channel not on the strip. I get about four months out of a blade. No Perf Cuts just Kiss and contour cuts, speed is set at 25 which is still faster than a perf cut at 50.
In 2023 I printed and cut 485 rolls of GF 220 which are 54" x 100', 6mill with a 90lb backer, great general purpose vinyl.