• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expensive Upgrades!

cwb143

Onyx Ver 10. $995 Eye One Basic Pro $995
Is it just me or is there a problem here?

Does anyone know if Onyx Version 10 is worth it?
Im starting to doubt this whole color thing. I think were being gouged.

Does anyone want to expand on this?:toasting:

MikePro

worth it!
+1 to the eye-one, as well.

my rips going twice as fast as v.7 and the fact that they dropped support for <v10 kinda pushed us over the edge... that and the ISA show discount :)

Molenbeek

Its definitely worth it- plus its actually a 12 month maintenance program so if they come out with 10.5 or 11 or whatever in the next 12 months- you get that free as well!!

Give us a call and we can help you out-

877-237-4464 *1590

Matt Molenbeek
Advantage Sign Supply
www.advantagesignsupply.com

Letterbox Mike

Absolutely worth it, X10 is a huge improvement over v7, tremendously more stable and noticeably faster. Handles transparencies and .pdfs better (not perfect, but much better). Run it in Windows 7 64 bit and load up on RAM, and install a scratch disk for Onyx and it'll chew through files like nothing.

signswi

Well worth it and that's not all that much money. Software is a cost of doing business, you should budget ~$5k a year or so for software upgrades/new software purchases.

WildWestDesigns

Well worth it and that's not all that much money. Software is a cost of doing business, you should budget ~$5k a year or so for software upgrades/new software purchases.

I can attest to that being about right considering a couple of weekends ago I got back from an embroidery trade show that was local and I spent quite a bit on software. Changes happen all the time. Software I was using before the upgrades were top of the line, now other features even as simple as just work flow features are in the newer software.

signswi

Absolutely worth it, X10 is a huge improvement over v7, tremendously more stable and noticeably faster. Handles transparencies and .pdfs better (not perfect, but much better). Run it in Windows 7 64 bit and load up on RAM, and install a scratch disk for Onyx and it'll chew through files like nothing.

10.1 fixed all our remaining PDF problems (we use the X-4 standard, as recommended).

signswi

I can attest to that being about right considering a couple of weekends ago I got back from an embroidery trade show that was local and I spent quite a bit on software. Changes happen all the time. Software I was using before the upgrades were top of the line, now other features even as simple as just work flow features are in the newer software.

Productivity is the key reason to stay near the edge for me. Time is the most valuable asset, anything which reduces task time is a win and most software upgrades have some task time reducers (I can't imagine still being on CS3...).

Letterbox Mike

10.1 fixed all our remaining PDF problems (we use the X-4 standard, as recommended).

Good to know, we haven't popped the 10.1 update in yet, but if it's solved the .pdf issues that's great. Right now we're primarily a .tiff workflow, which guarantees zero transparency issues, but it can be cumbersome. We really want/need to move to a strictly .pdf workflow but the RIP has obviously been the holdup. Thanks!

WildWestDesigns

Productivity is the key reason to stay near the edge for me. Time is the most valuable asset, anything which reduces task time is a win and most software upgrades have some task time reducers (I can't imagine still being on CS3...).

There you have to change for your own though. There are some time reducers that may not affect you depending on what you normally use it for. The only thing that still might get you to upgrade is the fact of being able to use the newer native formats instead of asking for legacy formats.

signswi

That's where I'm a bit of an edge case as I cross pretty much the entire spectrum of design. Print in all forms, web, motion, 3D, backend developer & prepress/production. CS3 I skipped as CS2->3 wasn't a big deal for anyone but 3->4 and 4->5 were both HUGE upgrades, as were ->CS1 and CS1->CS2.

Onyx 7->x10 and x10->x10.1 weren't what I'd consider major but I'd consider them necessary.

Getting a bit off topic though :).

cwb143

Got the upgrade to 10.1 onyx Friday. I'll get to play with it more tomorrow. However it looks like I still have to upgrade the Eye 1 :(
Cause it seems to be stuck on 1 patch at a time instead of reading a whole row of patches at once.

Got the upgrade to 10.1 onyx Friday. I'll get to play with it more tomorrow. However it looks like I still have to upgrade the Eye 1 :(
Cause it seems to be stuck on 1 patch at a time instead of reading a whole row of patches at once.

Configure the measurement device as an 'i1 Strip' in only to be able to read rows of patches at a time.