• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Explaining longer lead times to repeat clients

Rualsignmaker

This one has me stumped. Our existing clients have come to expect a certain lead time with their orders. With our new print and cut machine, I am reading about outgas time before lamination. I have read up to 72 hours for heavy ink scenarios. (Eco sol inks)

Is it fair to charge even overhead costs into that drying time? How do you all go about handling this? Eat the "costs" because I am just overthinking this?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It takes how long it takes. I don't understand charging for time to sit and outgas. If repeat projects are taking longer, it's because you're production out put isn't meeting demand. Just explain why it will take longer - when you accept the project, and only make time frame promises you can deliver on . Under promise, and over deliver.

Rualsignmaker

It takes how long it takes. I don't understand charging for time to sit and outgas. If repeat projects are taking longer, it's because you're production out put isn't meeting demand. Just explain why it will take longer - when you accept the project, and only make time frame promises you can deliver on . Under promise, and over deliver.
I just imagine myself in their position of the transaction and my expectations would be high also.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
That's probably the best advice any business can run on. Under promise and overdeliver. Easier said than done though.

Outgassing is a bit of a contested issue. Do some tests on your own to determine if you really need that time. You my find 4-6 hours is plenty. Someone with more technical experience will chime in here, but in my experience, outgassing generally presents itself as a problem rather quickly. It's not often something that is a problem several weeks or months from now.

As far as charging for time, my rule of thumb is based on finite resources and the bottle neck.

- Am I, or my employee actively engaged in the work? Charge for time, this is limited to 5-10 hours per day, per person
- Is "expensive" equipment actively engaged in the work? Charge for time, this is limited to 23.5 hours per day, (.5 hr maintenance time)

Generally, if I can't point to one of these two scenarios, I wouldn't charge for time specifically.

All that said, you need to have an hourly shop rate that covers secondary costs like this. I have a video about that here:

ProSignTN

I've had an out gassing issue in the past, when lettering vinyl awnings. Sometimes it is actually best to read the directions. Now my awning guy knows to stretch it and wait 24 hrs before I letter.

The under promise / over deliver deal was a huge reason the Chicago Bears were so dominate on their way to a Superbowl win in 1986. Jim McMahon, their QB, would come in the huddle and tell his teammates he just didn't have it and they were going to have to pick him up. Though a capable QB, he prodded his team to be the best each one could be. Simple by asking them for their help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I generally have out gassing problems, but more so after when I eat tacos than pot pie. Vinyl never bothered me. I just can't find it in me to charge extra for just f@ring around.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Why should someone pay for something that's just sitting there and costing you nothing?

Same as firesprint...
We charge for equipment time. & labor time.
Outgassing has none of those, so why should there be a fee?

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Seems to me like you're over-thinking it.

-No need to charge an extra fee for outgassing time.
-Huge need to set your client's expectations. Be realistic. Be honest. If it's going to take a week, just say so. If it's going to a take a month, just say so.

Much better (for your sanity & peace) to be upfront with lead times. They may not like it. But they won't like it either if you promise a quick turnaround and then fall short of their expectations.
It might help to approach this "expectations talk" from a sales perspective. Inform them that you have a new piece of equipment, that can print & cut, and do really great stuff, and that those durable eco-sol inks need a couple days longer to "dry" in order to make their print product the best it can be. Good things are worth waiting for.

I usually leave prints to outgas overnight or a full 24 hours if the art has dark colours, a full-bleed, or a lot of coverage. If it's a long-term item, like a vehicle wrap or wall mural, I let it outgas 48 hours to be safe.