• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eyelet press won't cut through hemmed banner

Tan2020

Hi, all it's me again!!

I'm trying to put grommets in a hemmed banner but the press won't cut out the holes properly as it's too thick (basically 4 layers once it's folded) Am I supposed to be cutting the banner so it doesn't overlap that much or do I need a new eyelet press and any suggestions if so that doesn't cost the earth. Or any idea I could do to make it easier?
Tia.

Val47

Not sure I'm understanding the 4 layers... If you're heming with banner tape, you would have two layers of banner (13oz scrim?) And the tape. A grommet setter should have no problem going through.

Lol, when I first started doing this, I had to step up on the bottom shelf of the work table to get enough leverage to push through.
I'm stonger now, and my arms are strong enough that's not necessary any more.
So maybe your due for a new gromet setter, or stronger arms.

GB2

Old Member
If you are using webbing on the edges, try marking the hole with the grommet press and then cut a little X with a razor knife where the hole is and then try pressing the grommet through. That might work if it's only an occasional banner but if you are doing it regularly you need something else which will be fairly expensive. If you are not using webbing in the hems, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to press a grommet through no matter how many layers of banner material you have.

Tan2020

Not sure I'm understanding the 4 layers... If you're heming with banner tape, you would have two layers of banner (13oz scrim?) And the tape. A grommet setter should have no problem going through.

Lol, when I first started doing this, I had to step up on the bottom shelf of the work table to get enough leverage to push through.
I'm stonger now, and my arms are strong enough that's not necessary any more.
So maybe your due for a new gromet setter, or stronger arms.
So the long end is folded and then the short end is folded over that making 4 layers?
HA i have to stand on a chair or do it on the floor to get enough leverage, it's not been used that much so it shouldn't need a new one, maybe need stronger arms but sometimes the grommet crushes so I think I'm doing it hard enough maybe too hard.

Val47

So the long end is folded and then the short end is folded over that making 4 layers?
HA i have to stand on a chair or do it on the floor to get enough leverage, it's not been used that much so it shouldn't need a new one, maybe need stronger arms but sometimes the grommet crushes so I think I'm doing it hard enough maybe too hard.
Oh I see... We cutout the corners. A 1 x1" square so it's not so thick.
I've crushed grommets too. Just takes finesse and practice

GB2

Old Member
If you're using self-piercing grommets you should have no problem with a banner no matter how many layers of material. You can easily punch a self-piercing grommet through 3mm Nudo board.
That's exactly correct...maybe you have the wrong grommets for your press.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not all grommets are created equal. We had this same problem with generic grommets purchased locally. The Fasnap grommets we get from Gregory work without issues even with the no-name brand hand press we use.
I couldn't see any significant differences between the two except that the Fasnap lock rings have small barbs in them to grip the banner better on thin stuff.

Val47

For everyday banners... Large format, that we finish in-house with banner tape, we use brass grommets. No prongs. We do outsource banners outside our current capacity. They sew hem to and I haven't seen their grommet set up. When we have too large of an order to finish in-house, we out source that (locally). Beyond our printing size, we will outsource.

Tan2020

Oh I see... We cutout the corners. A 1 x1" square so it's not so thick.
I've crushed grommets too. Just takes finesse and practice
Thats a good idea I might start doing that as it doesn't have an issue cutting through 2 layers.
Thanks for your help!!

unclebun

Even if they came with the press, they may be the wrong grommets. Non self-peircing grommets, like the ones you get at Wal-Mart with a tool that requires the use of a hammer to set the grommet require you to first punch the hole with a punch, then set the grommet with the grommet tool.

Self-piercing grommets are sharpened at the end of the barrel, and easily cut through four layers of 15 oz banner material using a hand operated lever press.

Could just be cheap grommets. We once purchased some "self-piercing" grommets from a local distributor and they were noticeably thinner and cheaper than Hiker grommets. They would pierce the banner, but it would crush and ruin the grommet. We either had to punch a hole manually or use two grommets; one to punch the hole and one to actually grommet in the banner. Weren't really saving any money using two generic grommets vs. one Hiker grommet..

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi Tia, My name is Tai and people call me Tia all the time...

What press do you have? You mentioned that the grommets came with the press and you have to apply a ton of pressure to grommet stuff. If you bought one of the starter lower end presses you might want to look at upgrading to a Hiker press. We had a cheapo ($80ish) press for years and when we bought a Hiker it was SO much better that we wished we had done it when we first started. Way less pressure, smoother and more consistent grommeting, no more jumping up and down trying to grommet something.

salvage35

I have found that the quicker you set the grommet the better it cuts using quality self-piercing grommets. When you go slow it is hit and miss.
Thanks for the tip,,it works but I have to slam it hard and I have to do 2000 grommets so I ordered a 1 ton arbor press and I will fit my die into it, I let you know how it does for me.