• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

falcon jr printing problem color fading to nothing

JerryIrons

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine owns a falcon jr printer and has asked for my help in fixing this thing. I have repaired several types of printers, but never one of these bad boys. So,

The problem is that the color has gone to almost nothing. The last few nozzle checks there is only yellow left, and very little left. In fact I'll bet there will be zero color within the next few nozzle print tests.

I have looked over the ink lines, and there is nothing coming out of the color line into the waste bottle. I did try using a syringe on the waste line, was able to pull black just fine, but cannot pull anything with the color. In fact if I pull the syringe back on the color waste, a vacuum is created enough that I have to push the syringe back in, in order to remove the syringe.

I believe the printer is 2 years old, with nothing changed on it.

So, does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to look over a service manual as well, as this is a very expensive printer to just start taking apart... Any idea of where to get one?

Would a new capping station make sense?

Any help at all would be really appreciated. His shop is not very large, and I'm doing this as a favor.

-Jerry

JerryIrons

Well in case this helps anyone else with a mutoh falcon problem like mine, I will document what happens with this printer. I was able to find a pdf manual on how to change the maintenance kit, so at least I'm confident in taking the damn thing apart and getting it back together again. Today I will do just that, and try to diagnose what is wrong. Money is tight otherwise I would have just ordered in a cap station and new pump ahead of time. Still think we should have done that, but who knows maybe a line is just plugged...

I have read every post I could find on falcon problems, that was a big help, thanks to all those previous posts for sure!

By the way, I have contacted 2 mutoh dealers in the area, none of whom were able to fix or recommend someone to fix these things. (other than calling mutoh) So its going to be me one way or the other :)

Since the machine prints black ok, and I can pull black ink through the waste line, that tells me that since I cannot pull color through the color line, I have a blockage somewhere causing my problem. Today I will take the thing apart, and try and determine where the block is. Probably will try and remove line from capping station, and see if I can draw ink that way.

-Jerry

Jackpine

You are on the right track. www.cmykparts.com is a source for parts. They sell a refurbish kit for $750 that includes most everything you would need. Victor will send a CD with the repair manual with the kit. I would soak the print heads 10 to 15 minutes and then do a cleaning. It could be you head is bad, cap station or the dampers. Has the printer sat for a while or did this just happened? It may just be the dampers or the capping station need replacing. The black head generally goes first.

Jackpine

You could do a head wash on the color print head only and if that works then do a CMY fill. This will clean the entire color system.

JerryIrons

Thanks JackPine for your thoughts, really appreciate the input. I was on site today and took a lot of the printer apart, plus played around with a syringe, only had 10cc size, but that seemed to work pretty well.
1) noticed that the magenta damper was empty, and the magenta line had a few air bubbles in it (upstream from the head)

2) I disconnected the color ink line from the cap assembly (that goes to the pump), put a syringe on there and could fill it with color ink just fine. So this tells me that the head is probably ok, and that the cap assembly probably ok. Problem is, that cap assembly is worn, pads are falling apart so to speak, will be replacing that. Wiper is also worn down, will be replacing that. Pump is now suspect, or lines. I was able to fill the magenta damper while doing this, but I think it started going back to the ink cartridge? Concerned as to why magenta was empty while other colors full, will be replacing the magenta damper as well. (and o ring too I suppose)

3) Pump is suspect, can see lines laying directly on gears. On the color line that runs into the pump, I used my mouth to blow in it, while plugging up other end in waste container with my finger, and all kinds of air is blowing out somewhere in pump: line has ruptured. So will be replacing pump too...

Will be ordering parts after I type this. Boy it really isn't that easy to get to this stuff, lots of screws, plates, etc to get out of the way first...

Question:

Once the cap assembly/pump is out of the printer, can I safely wipe down the print head with a lint free rag, loaded with 91% alcohol? (lightly)
Or will I mess up nozzles by doing this? Would I be better off soaking a rag with cleaning fluid, putting on top of cap assembly and parking head there?

Thanks,

-Jerry

Jackpine

Once the cap assembly/pump is out of the printer, can I safely wipe down the print head with a lint free rag, loaded with 91% alcohol? (lightly)
Or will I mess up nozzles by doing this? Would I be better off soaking a rag with cleaning fluid, putting on top of cap assembly and parking head there?

No don't wipe the bottom of the print head. You will cause damage. Take a lint free cloth and soak it with cleaning solution or 91% alcohol place it on the cap and park the head to soak. Then do a cleaning. Your sponges on the cap can not be replaced you will have to replace the cap station. I do a head wash with cleaning cartridges at least once a year. This flushes out the system. I do this when I will be gone for 4 days or more. Other wise I have my daughter run test prints and or nozzle checks every two days to keep ink moving.

JerryIrons

Well I ordered some parts in from cmykparts.com, everything was looking good, until I noticed that the plastic gear that connects the pump to the rest of the printer (located on the maintenance station) is shot. I cannot get a hold of cmykparts right now, I called mutoh, who pointed me in calgraph's direction, who then told me that the plastic gear is not available, and that I have to purchase the maintenance station.

Does anyone have one of those plastic gears that they could part with?
(mutoh falcon jr 38")

Otherwise I'm really hoping that I can return some parts to cmykparts and then have the maintenance station overnighted to me.

This project is turning out to me more work than it should be.

-Jerry