• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Falcon Outdoor Jr... where to start?

I have been looking for a bigger printer to handles things I can't do on my Edge, and I came across a great deal on a Falcon Outdoor Jr and a Mutoh 30" plotter. The plotter works great, and the printer turns on and doesn't show any issues, but it doesn't have any ink in it to see if it prints. It has been sitting for about a year and the owner isn't sure if it was flushed when it was taken out of service, but there are two empty flush cartridges with it so I guess that's a good sign. Basically I am just wanting to know where to start. Should I flush it and then try to load ink in it and see if it prints?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Run far away from the Falcon no matter what deal you are getting. You are going to spend all of your time bashing your head and emptying your wallet to get that to run and it will always be a hassle to keep running. Also, the heads are discontinued for that machine and manufacturing of the head ended over a year and a half ago. Finding heads will soon be next to impossible and very expensive.

Take it from someone who helps people all over the country with all types off brands and model machines. The Falcon will take your time, money and sanity and give you nothing in return. Not much to expect from 12+ year old technology. No offence to current Falcon users.

klemgraphics

Run far away from the Falcon no matter what deal you are getting. You are going to spend all of your time bashing your head and emptying your wallet to get that to run and it will always be a hassle to keep running. Also, the heads are discontinued for that machine and manufacturing of the head ended over a year and a half ago. Finding heads will soon be next to impossible and very expensive.

Take it from someone who helps people all over the country with all types off brands and model machines. The Falcon will take your time, money and sanity and give you nothing in return. Not much to expect from 12+ year old technology. No offence to current Falcon users.

As a previous owner of both a jr and a 62" model I agree completely!

Well the package is the Falcon, onyx rip with dongle, and the sc-850d cutter. So I guess my next question would be what is the cutter and rip worth, if I'm basically paying for the cutter and rip and getting the printer free I'll feel good about the deal. Then if the printer works that will be great, if not I wouldn't be losing anything.

I went ahead and picked everything up today. I am not ignoring everyone's advice, but I got a great deal... I basically got the printer for free just to get it out of the guy's garage. I needed the plotter and on top of that I got the Onyx RIP so I'm not losing any money. I might as well see if the printer will run, if I can get it going and it lasts a year or so it will be doing nothing but making me money and I can trade it on a new one. It powers up and goes through all the motions like it should, but I think I may have messed something up. I tried to do a test print, and it went through what appeared to be a printing process (nothing printed) but then it stopped and had a message on the screen that said something like Y value or Y input, I don't remember exactly. I tried to hit the cancel button but that didn't clear the message, so I powered the machine down. Now when I turn it on the carriage moves slightly and then I get an E074 error. It looks like the test print and head alignment functions are both on the same button, so I'm thinking I accidentally put it into alignment mode and maybe that is causing this problem?

**UPDATE** The problem is fixed, the retaining clip that holds the carriage over the capping station was doing too good of a job, I bent it up slightly and now everything is good.

Last edited: