• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help FB500 carriage noise

Turnergraphics

Does anyone have advice on repairing a problem with carriage noise as it travels back and forth? Carriage wheels are not binding. Blue belt is not twisted. Sound isn't coming from the belt drive motor. Lube doesn't help. Printer runs pretty good despite the noise. My best guess is that the long metal bearing strips that the wheels run along has worn. Haven't replaced those.

Turner Graphics

FrankW

Could be that the rollers are dirty (the carriage runs on rollers). Or the Carriage Motor is worn out.

GP_Oz

You can remove the strips and flip them over in a pinch..but i doubt its where the issue is.
Make sure you clean the hell out of the rails that hold them in as small debris will make it really hard to put them back in.
Ive seen bearings fail many times before and usually carriage noise will preface this.

Bearing change is difficult, but not impossible with specialized tools.
A new upper trolley assy might be a better option. If that is what the problem is.

If you can at least borrow an upper trolly (complete trolley better) you can run it back and forth on the rail to check for issues before making a decision or pulling strips.

I find it the best way because you will feel any bumps inconsistency in the rail.

flyplainsdrifta

is it more of chugging rather than a grinding? are you starting to see vertical banding in solid color prints? if so id say you need a new trolley assy. just had this issue with my 700.

Turnergraphics

Thanks for all the advice. Seems that it has to be either the long bearings that the carriage wheels run along, or the carriage wheels themselves.

flyplainsdrifta

the trolley assembly takes care of all of those possibilities in terms of bearings and wheels. id just check your strips before jumping to order the part

czbhu

I have a hp FB700. I also have this problem. I think the right upper roller is the one that makes noise. I have consulted with the service and they said that the whole aluminum carriage frame must be replaced. There is no way to only change the roller because they are squeezed together with the frame. I have been running my machine with this problem over 8 months with no issues.

flyplainsdrifta

I have a hp FB700. I also have this problem. I think the right upper roller is the one that makes noise. I have consulted with the service and they said that the whole aluminum carriage frame must be replaced. There is no way to only change the roller because they are squeezed together with the frame. I have been running my machine with this problem over 8 months with no issues.

you will definitely start to see some strange vertical banding in solid darker colors. almost squiggly purpley blues in solid black and cyan. like i said if its a chugging or a grinding, definitely have the trolley assy changed. its a lengthy procedure which involves a ton of re calibration after the trolley is installed so be prepared to be down for 4 to 8 hours depending on the skill of your technician.

Turnergraphics

is it more of chugging rather than a grinding? are you starting to see vertical banding in solid color prints? if so id say you need a new trolley assy. just had this issue with my 700.

One of my top roller wheels went out completely. The middle bearing portion is disintegrated. So what do I do? Do I have to get an entirely new carriage or can I replace the wheel?

flyplainsdrifta

One of my top roller wheels went out completely. The middle bearing portion is disintegrated. So what do I do? Do I have to get an entirely new carriage or can I replace the wheel?

Unfortunately that's a trolley assembly replacement. My thought is that in order to replace one wheel, you'd need to fully dismount the whole carriage anyways. Also everything on those trolley assembly setups is probably very calibrated as one at a factory somewhere so I'm guessing that's why hp doesn't sell just the wheels (that and obviously money haha). Looking at it like that, I'd say having a full new set of bearings is needed anyway, especially if one completely failed. I know it's gonna suck to order it and be down for a bit, but trust me, once it's back up you'll be happy. No more terrifying noise. I know I was pumped.

Turnergraphics

One of the upper trolley wheels eventually fell apart and I replace the top trolley part that contains most of the wheels. Now I have a LOUD whistling , squeaking sound as the carriage travels back toward the service end. Any one else have a this whistling sound?

flyplainsdrifta

oh damn didn't see this until just now. yeah. i just had a bad main board on a brand new 750 that caused cascading printhead failures so yeah. that was fun. you did get very lucky though haha

czbhu

Does any one have a drawing of a trolley? 600 EUR is a rip off for 2 pieces of aluminium and 5 bearings. My bearings started to make noise in 2015 after 1 year of purchasing this brand new fb700. I have decided not to change because I had no other issue just a little noise. Now this noise went really bad so I have to change the trolley before any other issue comes up.
If there were a drawing of a trolley it would be good. So I could redesign it to have changeable bearings. I think it would help for a lot of fb500/700 owner.