• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help FB550 Magenta Overspray

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Has anyone heard that HP is having issues with inks for the FB series lately. I have a friend with an FB550 that is getting bad overspray on Magenta only all of a sudden. The tech didn't think it was a head, but had heard that there was an issue with inks lately that could be causing it. Said that it gets worse the further along a board that it prints and actually gets a magenta mist for 2-3 inches at the end of a print. I asked if there were any firmware updates lately- but there haven't been, but he said that Caldera had an update recently but couldn't correlate the update to the start of the problem. Any ideas before I tell him to pay up and call HP Tech support? Thanks!

Turnergraphics

You probably need a new head and techs are expensive so go ahead and try a new head. Even if it's not the problem, you'll need it eventually. Outside of that you can 1. manually clean the print heads. 2. go to the cleaning menu and vacuum the heads. Oh yeah I just remembered. A full auto set calibration has helped at times. And finally. You can replace the small black o rings where the heads mount . Try the calibration and the manual head cleaning. Then might as well try a new head.

Jordan

Don’t jump to replacing heads...$1,800 ain’t throwin’ around money when trying to fix your issue. First replace the ink and flush the magenta lines 2 or 3 times. Make sure your head is clean, and then check your nozzles.

FulSnygg

Has anyone heard that HP is having issues with inks for the FB series lately. I have a friend with an FB550 that is getting bad overspray on Magenta only all of a sudden. The tech didn't think it was a head, but had heard that there was an issue with inks lately that could be causing it. Said that it gets worse the further along a board that it prints and actually gets a magenta mist for 2-3 inches at the end of a print. I asked if there were any firmware updates lately- but there haven't been, but he said that Caldera had an update recently but couldn't correlate the update to the start of the problem. Any ideas before I tell him to pay up and call HP Tech support? Thanks!

Any luck with this? We have the same problem with magenta. Have tested to swap heads, stil same result on the magenta.

greysquirrel

There have been numerous issues with heads that have been resolved by replacing the ink. Talk to your reseller. They can contact HP and walk you through the process. I would not recommend replacing any heads without swapping the ink first. If your ink is out of warranty then you would need to purchase a new box of ink.

ikarasu

Our magenta did the same last week. The easiest way to tell if to run a test print using only one magenta head.... Then runit using the other. If both are misting what are the odds both heads are dead?

Tech told us to try new ink... So we did... After 3 flushes the misting was way better. Took about 5 to get it back to normal... Now it works fine. Still awaiting hp to send us the replacement ink... But the machines running at least.

This is the second time our techs seen this issue in the past few months..... Seems like hp teased a bu ch of bad magenta Ink. Ours wasn't even on their bad batch list... So I guess they're still building the list.

At least they're sending us a brand new box when ours was down to 20%! But a few hundred in ink savings doesn't fix a few days of downtime. And I've heard some bad ink cau ruin the head...albeit that's rare.