• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FB700 loses network static IP, have to restart printer to get it talking to the RIP again

tedbragg

This is a rare thing, but when it does happen it's ALWAYS when we absolutely don't want it to. We have a direct ethernet cable plugged into the FB700 from our iMac. The IP address is static, not dynamically assigned. No other devices or services use anything CLOSE to the subnet it's using.

This iMac doesn't even have internet connections -- we made sure to keep it isolated. So it's weird when we get the "Sorry, 193.xxx.xxx... cannot establish network connection with FB700."

THe only fix is to restart the FB700, which takes us down for about 15 minutes. and you have to babysit it and push 'proceed' a bunch so it'll finish boot-up.

Is there another way to reset the ip? That doesn't involve cold restart?

netsol

what you are saying makes no sense.
if the mac i plugged in directly, via ethernet, then nothing else is in the equation.

is there actually a SINGLE CABLE directly from one to the other device, or is there a switch, or router involved?
if the mac is connected WIRLESSLY, to a router, as well as connected by a wire, to the printer/plotter, there is still an opportunity for the router ,modem or WHATEVER IS THE HIGHEST AUTHORITY to give out your ip address and cause a conflict.

it is also possible (AND PROBABLY LIKELY) that power management is turning off the ethernet connection (we are absolutely CRAZED over power management

FrankW

If the Printer is back online after rebooting, it is no issue with the IP adress. With direct connection, do you mean a crossover-cable?

I would try to replace the ethernet cable. The position of the cable is a little bit difficult, could be easily hit by foot or can be easily damaged when removing the housing.

Perhaps too I would try to set a switch between two cables.

netsol

Go to device manager
Go to network adapters
Go to your ethernet adapter>properties>power management
uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

ikarasu

Never been a fan of direct connections.

Are you using a regular ethernet cable... Or a crossover cable?

I haven't kept current on my networking knowledge... But if the printer is connected directly to the mac, you should be using a crossover cable. A quick google search says modern NICs can detect the cable type and you no longer need a patch cable... But I expect the fb700 is old enough that it doesn't do that... But again, I'm not current on my certs and it's been years! But a crossover cable couldn't hurt, and could solve the issue.

Personally I'd get a switch and wire it that way, or a router... Even if you want it isolated from your Internet, both devices can be used seperatelly from your network so the printer / mac stays firewalled. The router would be best as you could look at logs and see what's going on with the printer.

FrankW

A quick google search says modern NICs can detect the cable type and you no longer need a patch cable... But I expect the fb700 is old enough that it doesn't do that... But again, I'm not current on my certs and it's been years! But a crossover cable couldn't hurt, and could solve the issue.
Macs do that since more than 20 years. The ports on modern switches do that too. The FB‘s who have a standard PC-Board internally wont do that, but wont need to if the computer does.

netsol

Oops, should have read more carefully

Buy a $15. 5 port gigabit switch

I haven't done a mac in quite a while, but, follow this article

NOW

lets do some troubleshooting

Is there a pc on your network? Do you have a network?

If you have internet access and a router, it is SENSELESS to isolate your design computer. And printer/plotter from all the control and tools that are available , but that is an arguement for another day

Every network connection has a LEASE DURATION meaning at some point in time the ip goes away.
This is why you need to restart from time to time

BUY THE SWITCH, disable power management , tie into a real network if you have one

ikarasu

Macs do that since more than 20 years. The ports on modern switches do that too. The FB‘s who have a standard PC-Board internally wont do that, but wont need to if the computer does.
You made me feel old so I googled it :roflmao:

Looks like it was implemented with GB ports, which was introduced in 99. I was going to reply saying it was 15 years ago... Then realized were in 2022... So more like 23 years ago, and now I feel older!

Not sure if the fb is 10/100 or GB, but if only one device needs it I suppose it wouldn't matter either way.

I'd still use a switch between them or a router.. simply because it'd almost likely fix ops problem with the least amount of tinkering with settings and troubleshooting.

netsol

in windows 7 for sure, microsoft assured us that using a single cable from port to port (no switch) was an unsupported configuration

they no longer say this, but, there is so much legacy code being cut and pasted, you are never sure how a device will act

it is ok to link a pc to a printer with a single cable as a test, and if yours is setup that way & functions properly, that is great! but, it is not good practice to make that your standard configuration, many problems come from doing this

i have been networking pc's, scanners, printers and such since 1992, and have worked on systems when microsoft did not yet support the networking of devices, when you needed to purchase additional software and licenses if that was what you needed to accomplish

i am sure there are still many of you who worked with BNC loops, but not as many who remember token ring

FrankW

You made me feel old so I googled it :roflmao:

Looks like it was implemented with GB ports, which was introduced in 99. I was going to reply saying it was 15 years ago... Then realized were in 2022... So more like 23 years ago, and now I feel older!
So sorry :) I feel old too …

The FB is 100Mbit.

It is ok to link a pc to a printer with a single cable as a test, and if yours is setup that way & functions properly, that is great! but, it is not good practice to make that your standard configuration, many problems come from doing this.

Some 20 or more years ago, my company and others too around us have connected large format printers with crossover cables from separate NICs in the RIP-Server by standard, to keep the transmission of Gigabytes of print files save. Sometimes, when a printer was connected to the company LAN, the printer stops during printing because of low bandwidth for the print data.

For current Mimaki 3D-Printers 3DUJ-553 and 3DUJ-2207 for example, it is strongly recommended to setup a separate Gigabit-Connection to the Control Computer.

i am sure there are still many of you who worked with BNC loops, but not as many who remember token ring

BNC (10Base2) were no „loops“, they were daisy chain, like 10Base5 (Thick Ethernet) too. The only common used LAN-network system with a loop was token ring.

dypinc

Every network connection has a LEASE DURATION meaning at some point in time the ip goes away.
This is why you need to restart from time to time

BUY THE SWITCH, disable power management , tie into a real network if you have one
Not every network connection has a LEASE DURATION if properly configures in the router and a static IP on the device. I have been configuring printers on networks for years, and no I don't need to restart from time to time because of losing a network connection.

richsweeney

We had a network problem with our hp 360 and 365. It mostly had to do with no talk back from the hp using the onyx rip. We upgraded last summer to the thrive version, and that problem is gone. Prior to that we tried everything HP and onyx advised to no avail. We have no macs, as they were always goofy with print drivers.