• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FB700: Poor results printing with white ink on black media

Lindquist

We purchased an HP Scitex FB700 earlier this year with the white ink upgrade. The white ink is something we were (and still are) very excited about, and we've used it most of the time without any issues. I'm able to print gorgeous displays on clear acrylic and add solid white graphics to colored media. However, until last week, we had not received a job where we considered/required printing colored graphics (that is, white underflood with another color printed on top of the white) on colored media.

Last week, the culprit was some signs we had screen printed before. Our customer buys bulk orders of "blank" signs with their logo and brand design, and then we add phone numbers for different contacts as they need them. Traditionally, this has been done by plotting yellow vinyl or (if it's a large order for the same phone number) screen printing white ink and then yellow ink for the same look (the background in a dark blue and the blue bleeds through the yellow ink; this problem still exists with plotting yellow vinyl, it's just not as bad).

When we started printing them, we had the same problem we encounter with screen printing - even with the white ink underflood. We never found a "real" solution - what we ended up doing is printing all of the signs twice. We printed solid white on all of the signs, then loaded them all again and printed yellow with a white underflood on all of the signs.

Now, I have a bigger job where that's not a good option. I have a large order of interior displays printed on 1/4" (6mm) PVC. The customer wants the edges of the PVC to be black, so we though we'd just print on black PVC and not bother painting the edges on 40+ pieces of white PVC.

Even at the highest quality (Max DPI - which we had never used for anything prior to this test), the images come out dull compared to both the displays my customer already has and compared to my own print on white material. It just seems that the white underflood isn't opaque enough to give us a rich color on top. I've included a photograph below - the top image is printed on black PVC, the bottom image is printed on white.

o728t2.jpg

We're running the newest version of Onyx. Is there just a setting I'm missing, or does white just not work like we expected? My only other thought is that I could print white across the entire 4' x 8' sheet of material, and then print the graphics with a white underflood. However that's not time or cost efficient.

chafro

UV white is not very strong.

If you want to cover dark color with uv white your are going to have to print 300-400% white. My flatbed lets me print 400% or more in the same pass, not sure if the fb700 lets you.

i don't think the black PVC idea is a very good one for a print with that much white.

danno

On our FB700 I have found that when the job is in ONYX, I can select the Color Correction tab and adjust my white. I will usually run +75 or higher.

Patrick Farrell

I have been having a similar but different issue. I have installed the white and the homogenizer. Doing all of the maintenance and print tests. The white seems to work just fine. However, when I go to print out say a white filled rectangle it prints absolutely nothing. Can't seem to rectify the issue on ONYX either. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

signheremd

I have been having a similar but different issue. I have installed the white and the homogenizer. Doing all of the maintenance and print tests. The white seems to work just fine. However, when I go to print out say a white filled rectangle it prints absolutely nothing. Can't seem to rectify the issue on ONYX either. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

If your media is not set to CMYKW then your printer can't print the white. Check to see that your media includes W before bringing the job in. Then when printing, make sure you have the proper white turned on - like Spot White...

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
Not sure, but check if there is a way to double print that would allow you to put more white. Scitex is an older technology, that could be a limitation. On the StratoJet Printer I have you can layer upto x16 in single pass almost around 500-600% depending on pass mode selected, and keep white at 100% for complete solid white. Check with Hp if there is a way to increase the white percentage, or double up the passes..

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We were never impressed with the white ink on our FB... So glad they invented Zebra board! If it was a small project I would skin the sheet with an opaque white vinyl (matte), For a large project, find a supplier of W/B/B sintra. We get cases of W/B/B ultraboard.