• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fc8000

p3

I have a Graphtec FC8000 and my mom was walking around it and tripped over the usb cable, thus ripping the port off the circuit board. I was wondering if I could get an adapter to the DB-25 port on the back of it to USB to be able to use it or do I have to go about getting it fixed?

Any help is appreciated! I've been trying to find a cable to convert it to USB and haven't had any luck.

p3

lol, that is what i was looking for. But for some reason I couldn't narrow down the search to that on their site...hmm... Thanks for the heads up!

MacGyver

as far as i know the cable is unique to graphtec, it is not a traditional straight through or cross over variety, i'd get the part from your graphtec dealer. if anyone has had success using an off the shelf cable let me know. thanks.

nopalito24

If your USb is messed up your serial port circuit should still be ok, and yes like the previous suggestion I strongly suggest you purchase a serial cable from Graphtec, then either purchase a serial card and used one of your available PCI ports, or purchase a USB to serial adapter, the only I would recommend is the Key span brand. w/ serial conection you won't loose speed or bidirectional comm.

DigitalBBQ

The problem with people trip over the USB cable and destroy the port, to prevent this since we have a few of the high end Graphtec Cutters; we use those tie-wrap and secure the end trail of the cable near the USB interface, and near the port by making a loop and lock it down tight with those tie-wraps a few times attaching to the metal of the media holder's arms. So when anyone tip the cable, it will likely ruin the other end since the tie-wraps won't allow the cable to impact the port on the graphtec end. It is cheaper to replace the PCI-serial board on a PC rather than replace the graphtec USB port!